Could you not use kessils in every. single. build. Please?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three of my LFS in that I go to in Milwaukee using Kessil in their Coral tanks along with other but mostly Kessils

Yeah, some LFS use kessils -- But big name vendors. CaliKid, WWC, Vivid, Reef Raft, etc etc -- They don't use kessils for a reason.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, some LFS use kessils -- But big name vendors. CaliKid, WWC, Vivid, Reef Raft, etc etc -- They don't use kessils for a reason.
Probably cuz they need to grow them quicker with better color so they can have an ample supply to frag and sell in mass, that would be my guess why they use whatever they use.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, sort of a work with what you got senario. And based off history, these lights have proven results, so why would they not continue to use them?

I suppose for the same reason that they (BRS) said the Zeovit system does work on the 160, which is why they stopped it to test out the Triton method. To find and test alternative ways of doing things. I completely get that using different lighting would be expensive, but maybe don't give it away and use it for another test. Like they said with the Zeovit, it's about trying new things to see what works and what doesn't. Maybe if a manufacturers feelings get hurt they will step up their game ;)

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe Pacific East Aquaculture uses Kessil (cant remember where I heard or read it).

Last edited:

NewbieReefer11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell you what if you but me a new lighting system for every tank I have then I will gladly not use kessils.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because I think a lot of people might find it interesting but totally unrelated to reefing. We get around 700k to a million views a month across all 700 videos. The income we receive from the ads on youtube is .... Drumroll, please ..... $1,500 a month :)
Helps pay a portion of the 5 person team here at BRSTV but a pretty small amount considering how many views it is.
And the videos are hugely appreciated and made me a customer.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose for the same reason that they (BRS) said the Zeovit system does work on the 160, which is why they stopped it to test out the Triton method. To find and test alternative ways of doing things. I completely get that using different lighting would be expensive, but maybe don't give it away and use it for another test. Like they said with the Zeovit, it's about trying new things to see what works and what doesn't. Maybe if a manufacturers feelings get hurt they will step up their game ;)

Now that the trition method has shown solid results I think it might be time for another change :)

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off history, as much as I know you love them, I don't know anybody whose kept a long term successful tank with kessils alone. They are the most regretted purchase I've ever personally seen among people I personally know. Those who do well with kessil typically have to supplement their lighting. I don't see that with T5, Radions, AI, or any other manufacturer. I'm hoping the Kessil X will fix this issue.

Walk into any major vendors shop, which I can do in my area, you will not find Kessils. Two Guys Coral didn't use them, CaliKid doesn't use them, Reef Raft USA doesn't use them, Reef Lounge doesn't use them, Aqua SD doesn't use them, Battle Corals doesn't use them... Their clout is born from them being used at trade shows, where they offer free lighting to vendors. Outside of coral shows, where again, they offer free lighting as a marketing tool, none of the professional growers really use them.

Additionally, I believe they chose the lights they did for the growth experiment because they are the best option. But even then, even if they used nothing but THE BEST light at all times, I would find issue with it. Even though I don't care for kessil, the problem isn't using the kessil -- It's using nothing BUT the kessil. It's not a good way to show off other brands. And I'd have a hard time believing other companies wouldn't want their products being used unless it's in an X vs Y grow out format. Then it could make a company look bad due to lacking performance.

How many people buy the Giesemann verve? I'd wager not many... I haven't seen one in a single build thread by chance. I've only seen two orphek build threads. I've not seen any of the ATI LED fixtures being used (Full ATI LED, not powermodule). This is a great chance to show off different fixtures. And I for one would like more data on different lighting sources.
I’ve been using Kessils for 3 years, no problems whatsoever, excellent coral growth @70% power. My only problem with them is color rendering. And I could probably add two more to my 90 for full coverage. Mine are only 8” above water. I recently added a AI Prime HD for color rendering. Not sure where you get that Kessils have to supplemented for coral growth. If you want excessive growth I’m sure you need to supplement but I’m not in the frag business, I like steady growth and don’t want to have to be constantly trimming coral, although I have had to with certain corals.

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Kessils for 3 years, no problems whatsoever, excellent coral growth @70% power. My only problem with them is color rendering. And I could probably add two more to my 90 for full coverage. Mine are only 8” above water. I recently added a AI Prime HD for color rendering. Not sure where you get that Kessils have to supplemented for coral growth.

It's largely perpetuated by people that haven't used Kessils, had bad results and blamed the Kessils, or just have nothing better to moan and groan about.

Rattzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for the at home hobbiest, Kessils can be perfectly capable of coral growth. As been seen in many instances. I have 2 A80's over my 29g and love them. I don't have to fiddle around with different colored LEDs that may look great to me but could have negative effects on the critters in my tank. Now as a stand alone solution to an SPS dominate setup, I'd have to agree that they would seriously be lacking unless either supplemented with t5's or, like shown earlier, you have four or five lights over a 4 foot tank.. Then may as well go for the smaller more programmable XR's. You're almost out the same amount of quid. I think what the OP was implying though was that in a farm/store setting using Kessils often wont produce the growth at a profitable rate as easily. Like can be done with banks of LED strips and T5's. A lot of vendors seem to use that method to great success. Or try to emulate the results the CoraLab guys have had.

I for one am glad BRS has taken the time and resources to do these tests and post the videos and results for all us to watch and learn from. This hobby is bloody difficult to get to right and in most cases quite costly when we add all the equipment we purchase that we really, really, really didn't need or even use. I believe that there is a lot of collective knowledge about reef tanks floating through that company and if they are willing to take on such a challenging subject and share it with us so We can be more successful then I say kudos and thanks. You've made my hobby easier and more successful over the years and I hope it continues.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side by side, and XR15 wont do anything a Kessil wont over the same area. I've had both and still run the Kessils and sold the Radions; not because of performance, because of the appearance in tank. A four foot tank needs three-four XR15s or three-four A360WEs (assuming SPS dominant). You'll never see me knock T5s or halides, they're proven performers for sure and I wouldn't hesitate to run one on the larger tank (my canopy made this prohibitive on the current 75g).

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side by side, and XR15 wont do anything a Kessil wont over the same area. I've had both and still run the Kessils and sold the Radions; not because of performance, because of the appearance in tank. A four foot tank needs three-four XR15s or three-four A360WEs (assuming SPS dominant). You'll never see me knock T5s or halides, they're proven performers for sure and I wouldn't hesitate to run one on the larger tank (my canopy made this prohibitive on the current 75g).
I was thinking 4 over my 90. I have 2 XR30w G4 Pros and still haven’t taken out the box, the Kessils look is so good. :)

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who cares what light people use that's just a tip of the iceberg per say to keep a reef thriving and healthy. Honestly when I look at tanks that's not the first thing I look at, I look at the inhabtants themselves and the corals, are they healthy, vibrant, etc. Lighting is just another tool in our tool box, so kessil, echotech, bla bla bla who cares just my 2 cents.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back