Couldn't I just pee in my tank?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a super serious question but a thought, and wondering if anyone's tried something like this at all.

If not one answers I won't be offended haha.

At least it's funny/interesting to me.

In first setting up and cycling a tank, could you technically use Urine to start the cycle, or do you think other trace toxins in your urine might ruin it? I've maybe read long time ago or heard about "my friend did", but has anyone personally done it?

What if you drank 2 gallons a day for 2 days before doing this? anyway. Just a thought.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that depends on how hydrated you are upon flushing your body. Remember that urine is not just urea and water. It's also whatever the kidneys catch and filter out as well that makes it into the bladder. So things like birth control hormones (if you're on the pill), a lot of medications (rifampin, for example), bilirubins (whatever the heck those are, I just remember googling that in the 8th grade), and all sorts of other stuff. Oh, and if you ate asparagus, whatever it is that makes asparagus smell.

I don't believe I'd ever do it, but if I had to, I'd probably spend a good 3-4 days (if not a week) just chugging water and overhydrating my body. We're talking a good 96 ounces or more of water per day here, with the urine being clear each day. And probably not take any medications for a solid week or two beforehand, and also eat organic foods.

I did hear about one person whose customer wanted to do this. They told the customer to only pee a little bit to cycle the tank. Said customer proceeded to just go into the tank....

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly pee in your tank if you want to!!
It’s your tank!! Lol! I’d probably opt for some Ammonium Chloride though. Keep this in mind if you decide to pee in your tank.
Fresh human urine is sterile and so free from bacteria. Only when it is older than 24 hours, the urea turns into ammonia, which is what causes the distinctive smell. Antibiotics, vitamin supplements, and other medications will end up in your urine, but in such minute quantities as to be negligible, especially when diluted with water.
A66F0BCA-83CC-4C78-9121-0CDC25640A16.jpeg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa no dont do that see above post same exact reason you should not ever use human waste as fertilizer as it will contain any chemicals you have invested
Although now this has me interested in the usage of birth hormone in urine to potentially stimulate fish to spawn (either naturally as in post-childbirth, or artificially by being on some form of hormonal birth control)....

I have read a book that detailed the usage of urinating around one's pond/field in order to keep certain pests away (I think it was raccoons) soooooooo...there's also that.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sitting here talking with my wife about the thought process you must have had to come up with this question and it’s pretty funny. When you really gotta go it’s amazing the exceptions we’re willing to make

HAHAHA Honestly, I did involve "man I really gotta pee" and not being able to at that exact moment.

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure there was a super long thread on here last year about a members nephews who peed in her sump

Needless to say it was an...interesting read
You mean this one?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean this one?

Yep, that’s the one!

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too funny. Have you been lurking on the other forum? I mentioned this over there. It doesn't work.
Haha I didn’t see that one! But great minds think alike!!!

I’m going to try to start an anemone clown tank soon :)

based on the little ammonia my pee apparently generates, that I have now learned thanks to many fellows reefers haha

I think I’ll opt to not try it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back