Countertop RO/DI unit with no drilling or plumbing work?

aquatic26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am new to salt water aquariums, having had several fresh waters for many years. I purchased the Waterbox 15 gallon peninsula AIO tank and am doing my research on water now. I live in an apartment and do not have the ability to drill countertops, water pipes, etc. or alter plumbing in any major way that cannot be easily reversed. Does anyone have any recommendations of a portable or countertop RO/DI unit that would fit the bill? I don't have access to a hose or outdoor spigot, but do have a kitchen and two bathroom sinks, as well as a bathtub. So far, this seems to be the biggest issue I'm running into with venturing into the salt water space. Any help is greatly appreciated!

saltienewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 4 stage hooked up to the faucet of a utility sink. No plumbing necessary . There should be adaptors that fit any number of faucets, I would look at the fittings vs trying to find a sleek/small unit. What you trade in portability, you gain in cheaper standard filters for changes.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 stage RODI unit hooked up under my sink, and all I did was by an adapter that split the water between my sink and my RODI unit. I have zero plumbing experience, and it wasn't hard to get set up and going.

OP
OP
A

aquatic26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 stage RODI unit hooked up under my sink, and all I did was by an adapter that split the water between my sink and my RODI unit. I have zero plumbing experience, and it wasn't hard to get set up and going.
Where does the waste water drain?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does the waste water drain?
I have it drain into either another bucket or drain back into the sink, I’ve never had issues with water contamination doing this. If I had the space? I’d drain it somewhere else but I have limited space haha

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want the upfront expense, you can dip your toes by using RODI supplied by an LFS or a water store. My LFS does it for free because I buy things there and they have excess capacity. When I can't go there, I can go to the local water place which has RODI for $0.50 CAD per US gallon. I have a 25g and use about 5-10g of RODI per week.

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I did was use the water supply line from the fridge and put a T RODI Coupler from it and a valve so I can turn it on and off without stopping the fridge supply. Mine is under the sink and comes up through an soap dispenser that we dont use so its completely hidden and aesthetically pleasing. I drilled into our PVC for the waste water no issue it tells you what size to use for install

OP
OP
A

aquatic26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it drain into either another bucket or drain back into the sink, I’ve never had issues with water contamination doing this. If I had the space? I’d drain it somewhere else but I have limited space haha
Thank you for your reply! Very helpful

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just set mine on the counter and put the waste water into the sink and the RODI into a bucket, simply because I never got around to plumbing it. It's a piece of cake. No RODI system has to be hard plumbed and most come with faucet adapters.

SnubbsDebolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also in an apartment. It’s a 2 bedroom 2 bath. So I did this in the spare bathroom. Could always buy a Brute roller dolly and fill up the Brute, disconnect it and roll it to another room for storage if you don’t want it in there. I just plan on dumping mine if I have company stay over.

IMG_2539.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2543.jpeg
    IMG_2543.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 25

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back