Couple of questions about stocking

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cycling a reefer 170 24" x 20" x 20"high tank and am thinking about doing seahorses. The tank is in the bedroom visible while laying in bed so I think it horses may make for a nice relaxing view. I already ave a mixed reef and fowlr with nems so this will be something different. I have already decided on BB and have minimal rock work in the display. I would like to have two but have no interest in breeding so I'm wondering if two females or two males would be ok together and would females be preferred over male if kept same sex together or vice versa? Will probably go with captive bred H. erectus since its my first time and from what I have read they are supposed to be fairly hardy Also would the 170 be sufficient size for two with no other stock accept cleanup crew?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. I actually read all of the series yesterday. I'm hoping to get by without a chiller. The tank is in our bedroom where we have a window AC unit so I can keep that room nice and cool in the summer. I figure the cost of electric will probably be less than the cost of a good chiller and no extra plumbing and equipment to deal with. I thought about a pair but I do not want to raise them and my family would not be happy seeing babies getting swept into the filter sock. Wonder if I would be better to try to get two males?

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it won't matter if it is two females or two males. Each can possibly have their own potential problems.
However, if you are buying juvenile seahorses, often you would find very late developing females that originally appear to be males.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I hear you about not wanting to deal with the fry. I heard some ppl feed them to there other tanks?
not sure I could do that tho. so if you want to be sure you can get adults so no surprises.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I hear you about not wanting to deal with the fry. I heard some ppl feed them to there other tanks?
not sure I could do that tho. so if you want to be sure you can get adults so no surprises.
I would probably end up with a nursery in the basement :) . I have LFS that breeds them along with clown fish and harlequin shrimp so will probably stop in and see if they have some old enough to be sexed unless they have the ability to change sex at some point like clownfish?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably end up with a nursery in the basement :) . I have LFS that breeds them along with clown fish and harlequin shrimp so will probably stop in and see if they have some old enough to be sexed unless they have the ability to change sex at some point like clownfish?

yeah that is what I would be afraid of too. one reason I dont have SH. raising fry can be rewarding I hear but a lot of work.

I dont think once there adults they can change but i don't know for sure maybe someone with more SH experience will chime in on that one...

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always kept mixed pairs. I keep my tank down around 69° - 70°F and although my male flirts with both females, it has never resulted in a pregnancy.

My first pair had fry almost every month for a year but that tank was 74°F and I have heard that seahorses tend to have fry in warmer water.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always kept mixed pairs. I keep my tank down around 69° - 70°F and although my male flirts with both females, it has never resulted in a pregnancy.

My first pair had fry almost every month for a year but that tank was 74°F and I have heard that seahorses tend to have fry in warmer water.

oh that is interesting to know! how do the corals like the 70 degree water temp?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh that is interesting to know! how do the corals like the 70 degree water temp?
Most don't grow as fast for sure, but they do fine. Cabbage leather, gps and palys seem to still grow well. Macros also grow just fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back