Couple questions for recirculating co2 scrubber on 110 classic reef octopus

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to implement the recirculating design on this skimmer. I know most tend to add the scrubbers air intake tubing into the skimmer cup/cup lid. Since this skimmer has the duel hole silencer, I wanted to see if I could possibly use one of the holes for air input and the other as output back into the co2 scrubber?

For reference, here is the silencer:
77CD1B7B-3B3E-4338-BA6A-6724280A3E05.png

If that’s not a good idea and I need to use the skimmer cup lid, does anyone know of a place that sells fittings that plug into the cup lid holes well? Also, how do I set it up to easily disconnect when I want to remove my cup/cup lid? Lastly, do I need to cover the remaining holes to prevent outside air from getting into the scrubber?

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend taking the silencer out of the loop and getting a fitting for the lid. If you use the silencer for your input and output you will be defeating the purpose. You want to make sure to pull the air from the lid through your scrubber and then to the skimmer in a loop.

You will want to cover any holes on the top with tape also. You can use John Guest or Merlock quick connect fittings sold at BRS and that will make it easy to disconnect it when you need to clean it. I would also recommend using a Skim mate Locker with a float switch so that in case of an overflow it will go to the locker rather than overflow into your tank which would nuke your system if you overflow and start pulling water through your media.

If you need some more instruction feel free to PM me and I will be happy to show you my setup.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend taking the silencer out of the loop and getting a fitting for the lid. If you use the silencer for your input and output you will be defeating the purpose. You want to make sure to pull the air from the lid through your scrubber and then to the skimmer in a loop.

You will want to cover any holes on the top with tape also. You can use John Guest or Merlock quick connect fittings sold at BRS and that will make it easy to disconnect it when you need to clean it. I would also recommend using a Skim mate Locker with a float switch so that in case of an overflow it will go to the locker rather than overflow into your tank which would nuke your system if you overflow and start pulling water through your media.

If you need some more instruction feel free to PM me and I will be happy to show you my setup.
Great information, thank you for this.

Reef octopus sells skimmer cup lids with float switches so I just picked up one of those, a small 3/8" ball valve to control the degree of air recirculation, and will go pick up some small 3/8" 1/2" plastic fittings from home depot (for the skimmer cup lid).

Will I need to get a plastic drillbit to increase the hole on the skimmer cup lid? I know you need a plastic bit for the skimmer cup but am unsure if it's necessary when increasing the size of the cup lid.

Also, just to make sure I understand the well enough to build it, I am to use a single silencer hole for the skimmer air intake. I will then connect the fitting from skimmer cup lid with tubing to the air intake of the co2 scrubber. Does that sound about right?

LiveWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a regular drill bit to make the hole bigger.
I would remove the silencer all together. You will not need it as the canister will keep everything very quiet.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a regular drill bit to make the hole bigger.
I would remove the silencer all together. You will not need it as the canister will keep everything very quiet.
Was planning on using the silencer as the air intake

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LiveWire I really appreciate the help.

Went ahead and implemented what you suggested. This is just a rough set up but does it look more or less correct? I just ordered the skimmer cup lid with float switch. All of the additional skimmer cup lid holes are taped off.
DE53F72F-7087-445A-B54A-406E36D17734.jpeg
8EEDDE69-A1DF-441E-A966-E69D9EFCE3A9.jpeg
BDB61E5D-0A37-47F3-A074-00DBDE97DE69.jpeg
0010893A-F080-4AEF-AAF4-A09CC31B5D34.jpeg

LiveWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great @living_tribunal!
Yes that is how I have mine setup but without the silencer but its not hurting anything. I have an electric ball valve in place of where your ball valve is that my Apex opens if my PH gets above 8.5 (which it actually does) You should be seeing a spike in PH now.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great @living_tribunal!
Yes that is how I have mine setup but without the silencer but its not hurting anything. I have an electric ball valve in place of where your ball valve is that my Apex opens if my PH gets above 8.5 (which it actually does) You should be seeing a spike in PH now.
I moved the ball valve to the outtake (made more sense to put it there).

Ph has been hitting 8.3 halfway through the day and Alk consumption had already increased dramatically! I’m very happy.

One thing, I have no clue how the two could be related but my evaporation went nuts after setting this up. Is this a coincidence or are the two connected?

LiveWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy to hear that you are hitting the 8.3 mark. I would say its a coincidence. I had no difference in my evaporation level.

Back