Couple questions regarding my stand

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Would like some advice on this stand. I bought the stand pretty much like this. I painted it, added some supports up top right below where the tank sits and to the sides. I also wrapped wood all the way around it and added doors. The previous owner had the tank on this stand for years and never had any problem, but I was wondering 2 things.

1) Can I remove this middle brace?
2) Does this seem okay that the tank sits 1/4 off the front of the stand? Again, the previous owner had it like this for over a few years.

I’d also welcome any other suggestions you guys might have. This will be my first tank that is not an AIO or a 40 gallon breeder with hang on equipment and is my first time plumbing a tank.

C49CEC45-09CF-413B-80FF-CA54766B7464.jpeg 049B3D54-35BE-4022-B6E5-794613E15327.jpeg 85B9B010-DE64-4F55-A328-CF46DD6C11A1.jpeg 975FC504-D636-4C73-A2E6-EB4A81595509.jpeg

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned about the 1/4". One fix is to add a larger piece of plywood of the correct dimensions. The center brace is more the concern, I would not remove unless you needed temporary access then replace. The way the middle brace underneath is what I noticed. Not the best way to install it, should have been ran up and down, not flat. It loses is structural integrity, though most of the weights I believe, is distributed to the edges. Also, is it on a tank pad or straight on the plywood?

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned about the 1/4". One fix is to add a larger piece of plywood of the correct dimensions. The center brace is more the concern, I would not remove unless you needed temporary access then replace. The way the middle brace underneath is what I noticed. Not the best way to install it, should have been ran up and down, not flat. It loses is structural integrity, though most of the weights I believe, is distributed to the edges. Also, is it on a tank pad or straight on the plywood?
Thanks for the reply, it did come like this and the previous owner had no issues, I am adding a piece of wood underneath that 1/4 lip to support the overhang and will drill that into the stand with wood screws today. It’s currently drying since I cut it and painted it last night. The front middle brace I can live with there, was jsut curious. The braces in the stand under thank are new and just gave it some more support. I know I should have did put them out and down but at the time I was thinking since that stand was stable I was just reinforcing in some areas.
This is not on a pad just on 1/4 plywood.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back