Couple questions regarding painting pine [DIY]

  • Thread starter Thread starter KoleTang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2011
Messages
2,346
Reaction score
83
Location
Woodbury, MN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building some boot drying racks and pine is the most cost effective option.

I hear pine can have some issues with pitch. Is kiln drying sufficient to set the pitch, or is it absolutely required to seal it with Shellac before painting? (I'll be using Menards Select Pine)

Does it matter if it is latex or oil based paint (will be exterior either way).
 
I would seal/prime it with something. Primer soaks in to wood to make a well bonded first coat, or two to apply the finish coats to. After priming, I would consider using appliance paint in a spray can. It is epoxy, and stands up well against moisture.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new