Cowardly Foxface

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been playing around with my Wave Engine and decided to implement a "Nutrient Export" mode to run twice a day. Well apparently this freaks out my foxface. I have since suspended this mode. Asking the community will he eventually get over it and used to this mode or is this causing too much stress?
Here is a pic when he freaks out, he will immediately bolt to the closest edge of the tank and changes colors and has rapid breathing.
IMG_0643.jpg

OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think he will get used to the Nutrient Export mode eventually or do you think it stresses him too much and could be detrimental to his health?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think he will get used to the Nutrient Export mode eventually or do you think it stresses him too much and could be detrimental to his health?
I don’t think so prob will get use to it if it’s set to the same time every day. Becomes part of the routine

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned before they are naturally very skittish. I don’t think you’ll have any problems keeping the nutrient export mode on. It will get used to it eventually.
Mine does this during waterchanges but will eat nori out of my hand right after.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice how fish can be skittish when you first get them and after a while they see you near the tank and act like you're starving them?

They get used to routines pretty quickly....

OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call mine my fff, F for freaky, as above it will get used to it, can you run it for a shorter period of time and build up?

I don't think it's a length of time thing. I think it the Nutrient Export mode has a surge peak to it, when this happen it ramps up my Gyre xf350's to 100% quickly this cause some noise/vibration when this happens and that is when he freaks out.
1602683242758.png

I was thinking to implement this about 1 hour after feeding to pick up any leftovers.

Right now I am running on Gyre mode 1% - 85% the movement is slow, so it doesn't get this burst of noise/vibration.

I will continue to use the Nutrient Export mode and see if he eventually gets used to it. I was just concerned that stressing him out would have a negative effect on his health.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface is fully grown and is my biggest fish. He’s terrified if I even stick my hands in the tank. He’ll lose his color and hide in his cave for some time. It’s just the nature of them. I don’t think you need to worry about it dying. They are quite strong fish IME.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface tries to rip the nori out of my hand when i put it in the tank but the minute i add a new fish or anyone besides me comes near the tank he runs and hides in camo mode

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface tries to rip the nori out of my hand when i put it in the tank but the minute i add a new fish or anyone besides me comes near the tank he runs and hides in camo mode
Same here. During feeding, he’s the boss. After that, he’s a scaredy cat.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back