Cowfish hand feeding

shanedag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently acquired a small long horn cowfish. First, what an absolutely awesome fish this is. We've named him Bert. Follows me around all day and is always front and center. The ultimate photo bomber!

Anyway, I started hand feeding him by holding a frozen cube of Rod's food just under the surface of the water. He is super excited and rushes in each time. I give him about 3-5 minutes of hand feeding before I feed the other fish in the tank.

Question is....is it harmful for him to eat from a frozen cube? I started questioning it since my fingers get cold holding it :) but he doesn't seem to care. That said, I don't want to cause any harm.

Thanks!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it's probably fine, but I'm no expert. All I can say is I want to see pics of that! Sounds awesome!

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new cow fish. I think that’s great it has learned to eat out of your hand, then you know for sure it’s getting enough food.
I wouldn’t worry about feeding it a frozen cube, they melt pretty fast in reef tank temp water.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my cowfish eats everything - pellets, frozen mysis and even seaweed from the clip ( he gulps it down while the tang and foxface take small bites) - what a great fish! Mine is a little crazy when i turn off the power to do a water change - he swims very fast in all directions and almost looks like he would jump out of the tank - which would be impossible since he's too fat!

Attachments

• IMG_1363.png
    IMG_1363.png
    704.2 KB · Views: 22

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back