Cowfish Or Not ?

Andrew.oh17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had ours for a little over 6 months now. We got a larger one for our 150 gallon (soon to be 250g). We watched him eat flakes & mysis at the store before taking him home. He's pretty quick when he needs to be, but like you said - tons of personality and is always front and center. We have two gyres and and he does well with all the flow - plenty of low flow areas he can hang out in if needed. The only issue I've had is reaching in to place corals and having him bump into me or nip at my arm. Doesn't hurt, but it'll wake you up!
1572615235742.png

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andrew, "The only issue I've had is reaching in to place corals and having him bump into me or nip at my arm. Doesn't hurt, but it'll wake you up! " lol !!!

I just have to try one, but if...he gets too big we'll just have to get s larger tank, sell or talk to our local store. HAVE TO !

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I have a yellow boxfish and LOVE him! Currently he resides in my low flow display refugium/frag tank (40b) as he is VERY small. I think he is up to one inch big now though. Maybe inch and a half. Lets see, I got him about 4 months ago a little smaller than a quarter? Tiny, tiny, tiny. I bought all kinds of algae from petco to feed, green, red, brown, nori, etc. He loves red algae so every day he gets a piece of red and I don't mind paying for the algae as it lasts a while. My tank is also super stocked with all kinds of pods, i see him swim around after them from time to time.

My best advice for anyone is have a low flow tank to start with filled with pods before you get one. Always provide algae strips too, especially when just starting off. My little guy is small but eats most of a 3x3 inch square of algae a day. I hear the death rate can be higher but maybe i hit the jackpot with one that took algae right away. Sometimes i offer flake food but the boxfish is more curious about what it is rather than interested in eating it. Very curious fish by the way, mine greets me when I walk up to the tank.

I love these fish. I would get another if i had to redo everything. I could talk for hours about my boxfish which, I think, says something!

I should mention that he only shares the 40b with 2 urchins. A tuxedo and pencil. It was my old display refugium I'm converting to a frag tank and when he is big enough to handle flow he will reside in my 125 display.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread. Cubicus is on my list, but suspect we see less in tanks because of the toxin risk. And yes I've read what you braver folks have as well saying no tanks have been wiped out from a toxin event. ..even in death hasn't wiped a tank. Maybe this risk really is very small. Which only leaves me down to a the fast growth factor. I have a 6' tank, but think that might not be enough for this fish if it grow from a marble to 10" in 18 months as someone else has experienced.

Will be following for updates for these two fish...hoping to motivate me enough me to give it a try. =) Thank you for sharing.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 months ago maybe? I will try to get a new picture when home. This was the last one I could find in my phone

DD4D377A-312D-4B88-8FCC-41858D776675.jpeg

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind. This was a couple weeks ago, to get an idea

ADEAC6C9-F32B-47DB-8EEF-A4BB807B03E9.jpeg

Hi @Jon Fishman . You actually have both the cubicus and the cowhorn if I follow your post correctly. Both added in late 2019? So.. about 1.5 yrs maybe? Would you mind sharing experience with growth rate and overall compatibility with your high flow tank?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Jon Fishman . You actually have both the cubicus and the cowhorn if I follow your post correctly. Both added in late 2019? So.. about 1.5 yrs maybe? Would you mind sharing experience with growth rate and overall compatibility with your high flow tank?

Cubicus grew about 2-3x’s his size at purchase, and he ultimately surrendered to the flow. He had a hard time eating, and sometimes he would get blown 12 inches sideways from a powerhead....... Loved that fish, but will not try again. Never found his remains and noticed no ill-effects in the tank from his demise with the exception of missing him.

Cow is awesome as well! But it certainly grows. little over an inch, now it’s 7 Tip to tail.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back