Crab ID

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, after a couple of months putting in TBS live rock, I caught a glimpse of a crab that seems wedded to a particular piece of rock. It appears to come out only at night and does a circular motion with its claws/fans. When I turn on the lights it almost always darts back into some hole in the rock. I’ve looked through the hitchhikers guides and don’t think I came across the creature.

Any one know what it is and if it’s a hitchhiker that should be removed? Thanks.

IMG_1158.jpeg IMG_1157.jpeg IMG_1142.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a gorilla to me, which would be a bad thing. Wait for second opinion though as I'm not sure.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a Porcelain Crab. A Florida Porcelain Crab, to be specific. He's a harmless filter feeder, and that's what he's doing with his "fans"- straining the water. They shy away from light, and can be somewhat cryptic, but are really cool to watch. Nice score.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, after a couple of months putting in TBS live rock, I caught a glimpse of a crab that seems wedded to a particular piece of rock. It appears to come out only at night and does a circular motion with its claws/fans. When I turn on the lights it almost always darts back into some hole in the rock. I’ve looked through the hitchhikers guides and don’t think I came across the creature.

Any one know what it is and if it’s a hitchhiker that should be removed? Thanks.

IMG_1158.jpeg IMG_1157.jpeg IMG_1142.jpeg
He looks awesome! Nice freebie. I got a gorilla crab LOL

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back