Crab ID

michael-taal

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught this crab this morning. I suspect it belongs to the Xanthidae family, but I am not entirely sure. It hitched a ride on live Bali rock. I can clearly see some small hairs on it, and its carapace is quite rough.
1000144905.jpg
1000144903.jpg
1000144901.jpg
1000144899.jpg
 
It's a 'Hairy Crab' from the family Pilumnidae. It closely resembles Benthopanope eucratoides, which is known from Indonesian waters. They may feed on very small fish, shrimp, or snails, so it's best to put it in the sump. This one looks fully grown so it won't get any bigger.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new