Crab in my Acro?

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
1,799
Reaction score
109
Location
Tallahassee-Venice Fl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a browned out acro colony (size of a baseball) from a LFS today.. did a coral Rx dip before putting it in, and I pulled it up to the surface a few hours later to check how it was doing, and I noticed a small little crab picking at the acro... hes kind of pale tan-ish colored, very very small, about the size of 2 polyps. I was wondering, good/bad? Never had a crab before, but this is my first colonie, rather than the normal stick frags.

I can try and get a picture later if I see him again.

Thankyou!
 
Would like to see a pic of the little guy if you could catch a glimpse of him again!:wink:
 
Last edited:
If I were to guess, it's an acro crab.....they are good. Google to make sure it's an acro and not one of the bad ones, like a gorilla crab.
 
If he's fuzzy he's bad, small hairs on the legs are ok I believe just not a forest of them. Also google claw shape, I don't remember if its pointed that is bad or not. And I've also heard blue eyes are bad, common trait of the teddy bear crab I believe
 
From what I've been told if the claws have black tips then its bad.
 
Sounds like your dip was not strong enough. If the crab can make it through the dip, then what else could have got through?
 
Sounds like your dip was not strong enough. If the crab can make it through the dip, then what else could have got through?

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Every acro crab I have ever dipped (I usually inspect and try to find/ and remove for safe keeping before dipping) has died..... during the dip.
 
I used about 25% more than the recomended amount of dip, killed 2 worms. Im re dipping it using Coral Revive now.

Heres a pic
DSCN7539.JPG
Untitled.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new