Crab in snail

littlehermit0

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2024
Messages
412
Reaction score
113
Location
France
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I bought this huge snail and I noticed there's a crab in it, am I lucky or is this a harmful hitchhiker?
20240616_220508.jpg
20240616_214941.jpg
20240616_201508.jpg
 
Yesterday I bought this huge snail and I noticed there's a crab in it, am I lucky or is this a harmful hitchhiker?
20240616_220508.jpg
20240616_214941.jpg
20240616_201508.jpg
This is quite interesting - I would guess it's a pea crab of some variety (probably from the Pinnotherinae subfamily), as they're known to live with a variety of host critters; they typically live with bivalves, but they have been known to branch out heavily including to gastropods (snails).

Some are considered commensal while others are parasitic (to my currently somewhat limited knowledge on it, the parasitic ones feed on the host while the commensal ones don't) - they basically live on the gills of the snail.

I wouldn't expect too many issues from the crab, but given that it might be parasitic, you may want to try and remove it if possible.
 
This is quite interesting - I would guess it's a pea crab of some variety (probably from the Pinnotherinae subfamily), as they're known to live with a variety of host critters; they typically live with bivalves, but they have been known to branch out heavily including to gastropods (snails).

Some are considered commensal while others are parasitic (to my currently somewhat limited knowledge on it, the parasitic ones feed on the host while the commensal ones don't) - they basically live on the gills of the snail.

I wouldn't expect too many issues from the crab, but given that it might be parasitic, you may want to try and remove it if possible.
I took the thing out and let him live, probably a pea crab but it's not in a ball shape. I'll leave him alone I like hitchhikers

20240617_215132.jpg
 
I took the thing out and let him live, probably a pea crab but it's not in a ball shape. I'll leave him alone I like hitchhikers

20240617_215132.jpg
Yeah, not all pea crabs are ball-shaped; if you can get some clear pics of the top (full-body, straight-on from above) and front (face/claws), then I can try and ID it more specifically.

Regardless, it should stay small, and I don't imagine it would be able to harm much outside of a host if it's parasitic.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new