Crab molted overnight...literally!

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I recently added 2 clownfish and 2 hermit crabs on the 8th of June. I had a hermit crab act weird since the 9th, yesterday morning I found him molting. I just finished cycling a tank the week prior to adding any of these inhabitants :oops:. I am quite shocked. Anyone have this experience before? Is this normal? My water parameters are all at 0 (with the exception of nitrate, around 10-20ppm). How soon do I need to add a new shell for this guy? I have some arriving on Friday.

Also, how often should I had shells for hermit crabs, in general? Thanks everyone!

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses! He won't die by the time the new shells arrive will he?

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many inverts will molt in a day or 2 of being added to a new tank. Or if you do a WC with water that is completely different then what they are used to.

Makes sense. My cleaner shrimp molted within 48 hours of coming home. Freaked my daughter out, lol.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses! He won't die by the time the new shells arrive will he?
Won't die because waiting few days for a new shell.
Keep parameters In acceptable range and as stable as you can and aslong as no fish have him as a snack and you acclimated him good ( even though some say hermit crabs could live in an ashtray and just put straight in tank lol ) I always temp aclimate mine floating in bag for 15-20 minutes then 30-45 minute drip aclimination just because its recommended and makes sense to me and never lost a hermit from this way,I've lost a few snails in first day as some just slow moving after acliminastion to my tank water and then a hermit or devil cleaner shrimp finished it off lol.
But having spare shells is just to give them option of getting a bigger shell as they molt/grow so few days till you get them shouldn't be a problem at all imo.
Even though I've always had multiple spare shells in tank for hermits to choose,still occasionally get a hermit attacking and killing a snail just for its shell,sometimes they eat a bit first and sometimes just kill snail and rip remains of snail out then take shell and other hermits eat the snail so now got 4 hermits that reside in the sump for their murderous ways ha ha

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he out of a shell entirely? Mine just go back into their old shells if they don't like any they find. I would assume if it molted and there were no new shells it would just go back into the old shell.

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is not out of the shell at all. He goes back inside when I get near the glass lol. The other 1 has no fear, but he hasn't molted as of yet. Thanks Lyss and Yang yang for your feedback. I feel better that he will be fine until I get the shells for him

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back