Hermit crab behaviour? (Red legged)

nanofish60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time poster here & new to the hobby of saltwater aquariums.

So far, all has been well.. I’m curious as to what these little red leg hermit crabs are up to if anyone could shed some light?

When I approached the tank my Nassarius snails were circling the pair of hermit crabs as if something had died - I threw some flakes in to distract them which it did and found the crabs to be one on top of another.. I’m not sure if they are fighting or is one protecting the other ahead of molting? They’ve been banging shells too. It’s been a couple hours now and they both still appear to be alive and in the same position of one on top of the other. Snails still checking in from time to time.

There are extra shells in the tank but neither have gone for them yet, I’m wondering if they are too big so have more arriving in the next couple days. One hermit has been very active and often rides the nassarius snails but the other has been fairly inactive and finds really good hiding spots on the rock work.

I know nature will inevitably take its course at some point but I’d be gutted if one of the little guys didn’t make it.

Any insights into these weird and wonderful creatures?

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I think I have some of the same hermits you're describing. Started with 5, there have been 2 murders thus far. Not sure who killed who because it happened at night but I'm sure it was homicide

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend putting in some empty shells for the hermit crabs. They grow separately from their shells. Different from snails, whose shell grows with them. Once they outgrow their shell they will need a bigger home to move into.
If no bigger shells (homes) are available they could be trying to take the other hermit crabs shell. They could be doing the same with the snails. In the process they would kill/eat the nassarius while looking for a new home. I have a bunch of empty shells in my nano for my hermit crab to move into. I see the lil bugger in a new shell regularly.

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time poster here & new to the hobby of saltwater aquariums.

So far, all has been well.. I’m curious as to what these little red leg hermit crabs are up to if anyone could shed some light?

When I approached the tank my Nassarius snails were circling the pair of hermit crabs as if something had died - I threw some flakes in to distract them which it did and found the crabs to be one on top of another.. I’m not sure if they are fighting or is one protecting the other ahead of molting? They’ve been banging shells too. It’s been a couple hours now and they both still appear to be alive and in the same position of one on top of the other. Snails still checking in from time to time.

There are extra shells in the tank but neither have gone for them yet, I’m wondering if they are too big so have more arriving in the next couple days. One hermit has been very active and often rides the nassarius snails but the other has been fairly inactive and finds really good hiding spots on the rock work.

I know nature will inevitably take its course at some point but I’d be gutted if one of the little guys didn’t make it.

Any insights into these weird and wonderful creatures?
Probably fighting for shells. I had to learn the hard way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back