Crab question...

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be normal for a red mithrax crab to double in claw size overnight? Found a molt casing but when I fished it out it was from one of my Sally's. So, not sure if he molted or if this is swelling? His legs are still covered in the same algae. Could he have some weird claw infection? Pics for reference below. First pic, last night; second pic, just now. Yes he sleeps in my purple gorgonian LOL
20200405_230457.jpg
20200406_224641.jpg

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting observation. how large was the crab when you first acquired it? it could just be getting closer to full adult size. i’m not sure about mithrax crabs, but sexual dimorphism may also be a factor (i.e. males are bigger than females, for example).

i wouldn’t particularly suspect infection ... unless that claw arm fell off. (D’oh!!! ;Inpain)

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes after my initial shock he seems to be getting along just fine, the claws have taken on a more normal color so I'm assuming he molted and the shell must be behind the rock SOMEwhere. I bought him about 5 weeks ago along with another mithrax of roughly the same size. He was only *slightly* bigger than the other one. Now he is probably three times - four times the size of the other one. But you bring up a good point re: dimorphism, perhaps I have a mated pair?

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not so much a mated pair, but more likely they’re getting closer to sexual maturity.

lol, this peaked my curiosity and i found this:
If you want to know the difference between a boy and a girl Emerald crab, you will need to flip them over and look at the underside of the crab. In males, the pleon (telson/abdomen, the part folded underneath the crab) is narrower (it looks like a lighthouse) and wider/rounder in females.

so maybe the next time the crab is leaning against the glass, you can ... umm ... inspect. :rolleyes:;Joyful

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL it will definitely have to be when he's hanging out. I'm legit scared to put my hands in the tank without steel mesh gloves

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had two more molts today, (besides the Sally and apparently the mithrax) my horseshoe crab and one of my shrimp. Must be spring! HaHa. Between this and my turbos I'm going to need a bigger tank just for my CUC. Zoas and palys multiplying too but can't grow sps to save my life. *shrug*

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm ... maybe inspect the molt for the shape of the pleon. you might be able to determine boy/girl from that. :)

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the one molt I can't find anywhere unfortunately....

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck I can't even find HIM when it's daylight. I have no idea how he manages to squeeze those huge Popeye claws into a cave. He's obviously been overdoing the ReefROIDS.

Back