Crab snapping branches on SPS?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard of this? I have been waking up to find branches completely missing off of SPS frags or colonies. Any thoughts? I think it must be a crab but no idea whether this is common or whether I should just start pulling all crabs out of the tank. Any thoughts?

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had this happen when my fish get spooked at night and slam into the branches.

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my largest male emerald crab took chunks off my small JF Homewrecker frag. There are no other culprits as all I have is 6 fish, Mandarian Dragonet, Bicolor Foxface, pair of Mocha Gladiator clownfish, Midas blenny, and a Royal Gramma. None of which have ever shown any aggression towards any coral. Now the inverts I have are 8 Emerald crabs, 60+ Blue Leg hermits, 100 Astrea snails, 10 large Ceriths, and 100+ Dwarf Ceriths. The aquarium is a 2100 CADE so 235 gallons.

I used to have Dino’s ( which resolved quickly after bringing nutrients from 0/0 to 7/.03 ), and plenty of algae for all the inverts to eat, but as my tank has matured there is hardly any left except in the sump. This I think was the cause of the rouge crab which I have confined to the refugium. Since this incident I feed plenty of sinking pellets as the lights go off to keep the inverts fed and I have had no others issues.

The frag is starting to recover so ye I’m not too sad about it.

Attached are pictures of just before and immediately after.
IMG_0382.jpeg
IMG_0384.jpeg

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my largest male emerald crab took chunks off my small JF Homewrecker frag. There are no other culprits as all I have is 6 fish, Mandarian Dragonet, Bicolor Foxface, pair of Mocha Gladiator clownfish, Midas blenny, and a Royal Gramma. None of which have ever shown any aggression towards any coral. Now the inverts I have are 8 Emerald crabs, 60+ Blue Leg hermits, 100 Astrea snails, 10 large Ceriths, and 100+ Dwarf Ceriths. The aquarium is a 2100 CADE so 235 gallons.

I used to have Dino’s ( which resolved quickly after bringing nutrients from 0/0 to 7/.03 ), and plenty of algae for all the inverts to eat, but as my tank has matured there is hardly any left except in the sump. This I think was the cause of the rouge crab which I have confined to the refugium. Since this incident I feed plenty of sinking pellets as the lights go off to keep the inverts fed and I have had no others issues.

The frag is starting to recover so ye I’m not too sad about it.

Attached are pictures of just before and immediately after.
IMG_0382.jpeg
IMG_0384.jpeg
Thanks for the tip. I might start trying to do that. It’s been several pieces now that he’s taken a limb off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back