Crabs are awesome

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what to do with the first molt of my spotted porcelain crab, who's been happily hanging out on top of my return RFG.
IMG_20220228_110944529_HDR.jpg

Take it out or leave it in?

Resolved by my pom pom-less pom pom crab. I never see him out and about, but it was entertaining watching him bully a snail to get to the molt, grab it and drag it up a rock to rest under my octospawn. He's been slowly dismantling it and chewing on the tasty bits, I presume.

Hard to get him at this angle, but he's tucked under the octo with the molt (which is as big as he is) in his grips.
IMG_20220228_110954997.jpg

I love these crabs!

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of plain green porcelain crabs and love them too! Such cool and peaceful little dudes. I used to pull them out but I leave the molts in these days, even from the cleaner shrimp. Usually w/in a few days they're gone.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of plain green porcelain crabs and love them too! Such cool and peaceful little dudes. I used to pull them out but I leave the molts in these days, even from the cleaner shrimp. Usually w/in a few days they're gone.
I have a green too! I find it fascinating the difference between the spotted and the green. The green likes to hang out upside down and has his hands waving constantly, while the spotted is a big ham. He perches right on a rock or (right now) on the return locline and holds his fans out wide without moving for several seconds before cleaning them off.

Now if only I could get my sexy shrimp to stay off my stylo!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green too! I find it fascinating the difference between the spotted and the green. The green likes to hang out upside down and has his hands waving constantly, while the spotted is a big ham. He perches right on a rock or (right now) on the return locline and holds his fans out wide without moving for several seconds before cleaning them off.

spotted and green are actually different species! the spotted porcelain's full name is the porcelain (spotted) anemone "crab"

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a porcelain, but caught this duo hanging together last night. Sometimes they fight and I have to separate them, then other times they’re just together like that.

Attachments

• IMG_7646.jpg
    IMG_7646.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 99

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got two little emerald crabs (to help take care of some hair algae). I love them! I've been sitting here watching them eat like crazy and it's so entertaining, lol.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got two little emerald crabs (to help take care of some hair algae). I love them! I've been sitting here watching them eat like crazy and it's so entertaining, lol.
I've been debating getting an emerald or ruby, still undecided. I have codium, pom pom graci, and a bit of brotycladia, so wondering if they will start munching on my macro and also what to do when the remaining GHA is gone. Don't want corals next on the menu!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My sexy shrimp ate my purple stylo. Even with regular spot feeding. Then started in on the blastos and had to be removed.

We started an evo with a bunch of maxi minis just to keep them again though as we liked them so much.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sexy shrimp ate my purple stylo. Even with regular spot feeding. Then started in on the blastos and had to be removed.

We started an evo with a bunch of maxi minis just to keep them again though as we liked them so much.
Gives me an idea, a 30 gallon DT RFA garden with all the crazy verities and colors, with an assortment of RFA dwellers like porcelain nem crabs, sexies, ETC. Would be awsome.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been debating getting an emerald or ruby, still undecided. I have codium, pom pom graci, and a bit of brotycladia, so wondering if they will start munching on my macro and also what to do when the remaining GHA is gone. Don't want corals next on the menu!
I'm wondering too... the giant turbo snail I got when I bought the crabs is also eating its way through the GHA... pretty soon I may have to return them or feed them!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my anemone crab too. Always out and having fun. The pompom is a bit more reserved and hides too much.

I should film my spotted nem crab getting target fed. It's funny. I first pipette out the oyster feast/phyto/Zu Feast, and as soon as it realizes what's coming it does a Rocky statue pose (stands up tall with claws way up in the water) and starts shoveling it in. Then I target feed it a small piece of krill, and it comes right to the forcepts, grabs the forceps and scoops the krill towards it, then snacks away for a few min. Even the green porcelain has started coming to the forceps for a piece of krill. Pom pom still won't, but I try to hide away a piece for it where it usually hangs out.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back