Crack in the tank - what next

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got done moving a tank and noticed a small crack at the top left of the tank. I don’t feel it on the interior side. This is for my QT that I had in my garage but ultimately determined that it was too hot so moved it to my upstairs office. If it was in the garage I wouldn’t have much hesitation risking it given it would just get my cars tires wet but definitely don’t want it to cause my carpet to be destroyed (though, wife might be happy so we can get new floors). Is this bad enough that it should be moved back or just scrapped and replaced?

73BB7D14-4D9B-41AA-8F40-7B9ACAD61F60.jpeg A8978E18-7472-47DC-9A88-2F08909B00A4.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to continue to use it as a QT, you might be fine as long as the water stays below that level and you monitor the crack to make sure it doesn't spread.

However, if you were to fill it all the way (as in the case of a display), I'd scrap the tank or replace that front section of glass.

Ultimately, I can make a bunch of arguments for it's depth and location as to the relatively likelihood that the crack will/won't spread, however a tank is one of the least expensive pieces of equipment in this hobby. As much as it sucks now, I'd take the hit and sleep like a baby at night- otherwise you'll be worrying every day of the next ten years. To me, it's less about the actual probability of failure, it's more about taking it out of the equation completely so you can enjoy the hobby without worry.

If this were my QT, I'd cut it apart and use the glass for projects and pick up a new tank during the dollar per gallon sale.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up ordering a new one from Petco. I will likely hold onto this one for now and might use it as a QT down the road if it can stay in the garage.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to continue to use it as a QT, you might be fine as long as the water stays below that level and you monitor the crack to make sure it doesn't spread.

However, if you were to fill it all the way (as in the case of a display), I'd scrap the tank or replace that front section of glass.

Ultimately, I can make a bunch of arguments for it's depth and location as to the relatively likelihood that the crack will/won't spread, however a tank is one of the least expensive pieces of equipment in this hobby. As much as it sucks now, I'd take the hit and sleep like a baby at night- otherwise you'll be worrying every day of the next ten years. To me, it's less about the actual probability of failure, it's more about taking it out of the equation completely so you can enjoy the hobby without worry.

If this were my QT, I'd cut it apart and use the glass for projects and pick up a new tank during the dollar per gallon sale.

I gotta be a wise guy here and prove your (mostly) correct statement wrong. Sorry, I just can’t help myself...

I don’t think anything in my system is more expensive than my tank. I spent $1,350 on a 115 gallon tank - and it was only made out of cheap plate glass and it’s not rimless either! However, it does look pretty sharp.

5B4CC6A6-01AB-4039-BBA6-102028A7EEF8.gif

As for the OP, I’d certainly replace it. Not that I think it’d make a huge difference, if at least run a big bead of silicone over and around it.

Glauber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
replace the tank bro dont take the chance not worth the hassle

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back