Cracked my refugium, still use?

Still Use It?

• Toss

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • It's Fine, Leak Test and Go

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say give it a shot!
I think it'll be fine.
Insanity. It is truly insanity to use a tank that you could fix for $80 or less. Why don’t you just fix it? I have had tanks fail and trust me, loosing hundreds to thousands of dollars of livestock and coral and even equipment, and even the damage to your house, is worth the trouble of parting with $80. I would replace the tank at no matter the cost. If it were a $2000 tank, I would replace it. It is just stupid to use a cracked tank.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the crack is at the very top right? Is the water level always above this crack?
How big is the tank ? How about a plastic container a one for clothing storage. At least for a while to see if it leaks .
So you siliconed in & out, it's near the top so no great pressure, I think Your good to go !

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think about the crack spreading, like hat happened to me. Fine for 2 weeks, then I woke up to a flooded room.
So the crack is at the very top right? Is the water level always above this crack?
How big is the tank ? How about a plastic container a one for clothing storage. At least for a while to see if it leaks .
So you siliconed in & out, it's near the top so no great pressure, I think Your good to go !

OP
OP
RamsReef

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its at the top, cracked from top bulkhead to frame about 1.5 inches. No where for it to spread.

Above waterline as well.

OP
OP
RamsReef

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181209_002257.jpg
20181209_002319.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I am late to the party, but a new tank would be best. Look for the petco $1 per gallon and replace. The crack being were it is at and the plumbing, there is going to be a failure or the fix at some point;)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume you cracked it when grinding the hole? Functionally/structurally it’ll be fine, though I’d probably put a small glass patch over the crack on the inside. Cracks that run are the big problem, but nowhere further for this to go; and there will be no water pressure on it. Aesthetically .... well only you can decide that. If it cracked from being dropped, for example, then there may other damage and I’d be less sanguine about using it.

OP
OP
RamsReef

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It cracked because there wasn't even a blonde one between the bulkhead and hole. Instead of just using my diegrinder or sanding the bulkhead a little, I thought I'd just use the Nut and pull the bulkhead in. That was fine and near the end it looked like there was a little gap between rubber and glass... optical illusion. I gave her a lil mor wha and ol Chris Crinkle was her name.

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
structurally I think it is ok. As mentioned the crack cannot go anywhere any more. I would consider drilling a 6x6 piece of glass and patch it on the inside and have the bulkhead go through both layers of glass. the only reason I would do this is to be certain that the bulkhead and plumbing wont leak. Also, those holes look too close to the nearest edges of glass. Good rule of thumb is 1 to 1.5 times the hole diameter away from the edge of the hole to another edge of the pane. and as you pointed out about the bulkhead, it is always good practice to run the nut face on a flat piece of sandpaper to be sure of no pressure points. Wish you luck sir!

Back