Crazy algae bloom! Help

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so about 9 days ago my canister filter broke so I decided to officially start a sump. I got all the material but it took me a while to make sure everything was right and I didn’t start running the sump until 2 days ago. I have yet to buy a skimmer but I will soon. Anyways, ever since I took out the canister filter and was just using wave makers for circulation an algae bloom has statrted in the water column. It been getting progressively worse every day and now I can barley see in the tank. I’m using air pumps to provide extra oxygen but I’m worried. All my fish are doing fine but my corals look terrible. Please help.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that will happen when you remove filtration from your system, hopefully you don't get a mini cycle. What are you using for filtration? did you move the media from your canister to the sump?

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting the sump setup & pulling out the canister filter. Big win in the long term.

I had a similar experience with our old 60gal system. Our occurred the day before leaving for vacation & a few days after installing a proper light for the reef. The bloom will die once it consumes all nutrients, but you can accelerate it if you are worried about the corals. I used the Green Killing Machine UV sterilizer, but removed it after the bloom ended & it has sat on the shelf ever since. I prefer biological methods now.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back