Crazy Colored Scopus Tang

Reef News

Latest Reef News
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2015
Messages
265
Reaction score
1,469
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever purchased a fish that had any physical aberrations or abnormalities? Check out the crazy colors on this Scopas Tang!

[via Drysdale Aquarium, Inc]

Like the EcoTech Marine FB Page Here

12049169_1059542990722900_1013402688268513196_n.jpg
 
I just hope those waters don't create some super ich/parasites that can live 2 thousand years in a fallow system or have eggs that can survive a nuclear blast.
 
I wonder how long it will stay those colors.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/fish

"There are also odd scopas tangs that appear to be a mix of black, yellow ( Z. flavescens ), and brown tangs. There’s some question as to whether these wild color schemes are the result of cross-breeding or simply mutations. There’s even speculation that it’s related to a fungus! I can attest to the fact that these "mutant" scopas tangs will and often do change color in captivity, so be careful what you pay for! I have a specimen that changed from a mostly yellow coloration, with splatterings of black, into one that’s now half brown and yellow. This color change occurred over a period of a few months."
 
I wonder how long it will stay those colors.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/fish

"There are also odd scopas tangs that appear to be a mix of black, yellow ( Z. flavescens ), and brown tangs. There’s some question as to whether these wild color schemes are the result of cross-breeding or simply mutations. There’s even speculation that it’s related to a fungus! I can attest to the fact that these "mutant" scopas tangs will and often do change color in captivity, so be careful what you pay for! I have a specimen that changed from a mostly yellow coloration, with splatterings of black, into one that’s now half brown and yellow. This color change occurred over a period of a few months."

Is that black fin fairy wrasse in your avatar yours?
 
A better ID would be Cirrhilabrus cf scottorum from Australia. Probably something else in a few years.
 
Have you ever purchased a fish that had any physical aberrations or abnormalities?

Yes! Here's a Kole Tang I used to own.
Mar1920094-1.jpg


April212009.jpg


I wonder how long it will stay those colors.

"I can attest to the fact that these "mutant" scopas tangs will and often do change color in captivity, so be careful what you pay for!"

My thoughts as well! The fish pictured above @ 1 1/2"TL looked like a fairly normal Kole Tang when I bought it (late Nov 2009), and maybe had an unusual amount of yellow in the finnage. It switched to that crazy yellow coloring very quickly in March/April 2010, and then went back to the usual Kole coloring by July 2010.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new