Creating focal points with coral placement can save you $$

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm rebuilding my aquascape and I've been thinking a lot about focal points recently and thought it would be interesting to see how that concept applies to coral placement--

By selecting "showpiece" corals as the focal points of your tank, and then applying basic design principles to make them stand out against the others, you can make these corals look artificially brighter/bolder
to the eye. Because you want your tank to emphasize these corals that you love, the surrounding corals take "second stage" and don't have to be as high end or special -- saving money without losing out on tank asthetics !

Let me know what you think?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! I’ve tried to incorporate this in my reef , however, my show pieces like to move… lol anemone problems

Attachments

• AE300EA6-407F-4C9A-8647-3A4F438EC333.jpeg
    AE300EA6-407F-4C9A-8647-3A4F438EC333.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 8D6051D9-2CC3-46B7-BC3D-C35E59D66582.jpeg
    8D6051D9-2CC3-46B7-BC3D-C35E59D66582.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 90

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know what will save people money? When they finally realize that over priced frag is setup to make you "want" it. It will not sparkle and shine in a pile of other coral.

You're right. How many tanks do you see with all these pieces? It looks like a mess. And somehow people think that's awesome.

I too am guilty of not making that centrepiece.
But, I would like my islands to be nice and not confusing. They are confusing.

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what will save people money? When they finally realize that over priced frag is setup to make you "want" it. It will not sparkle and shine in a pile of other coral.

You're right. How many tanks do you see with all these pieces? It looks like a mess. And somehow people think that's awesome.

I too am guilty of not making that centrepiece.
But, I would like my islands to be nice and not confusing. They are confusing.

Yep, I definitely think that people get caught up in the high end corals too much! It's a balance of all types of corals and how you place them to make it come together

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love your videos and encourage you. I prefer colonies over frags. Let's focus on long term success over look how much money I just spent. I have not seen any of those Skittles tanks update showcasing their growth.

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love your videos and encourage you. I prefer colonies over frags. Let's focus on long term success over look how much money I just spent. I have not seen any of those Skittles tanks update showcasing their growth.
Thank you!! Agreed, high-end corals don't "make" a tank. They are beautiful, but you can have a beautiful reef without them or with less of them too :D

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of derasa and squamosa species. Farm raised clams so well. Just need to find a quality lfs or importer. Just need stable water and good light. If u can keep sps not necessarily acro the clam should do well.

Ok ok I might just look into one now, you've convinced me! I'm fairly confident with acros, so I might just have a shot :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely great video, Stephanie!! I've got 3 focal point corals planned already for the Waterbox 25g peninsula. Your video is really helpful for strategies on how to make those pop!

I do have a question for you. Does the 3 focal point limit apply to all reef tanks of all sizes, or is there some variable for adding additional focal points (i.e. on a peninsula tank, there are 3 viewing sides, so would that be potential for 3 focal points per side depending on the viewing angle of the tank and whether the focal point on one side is viewable from the other?)?

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely great video, Stephanie!! I've got 3 focal point corals planned already for the Waterbox 25g peninsula. Your video is really helpful for strategies on how to make those pop!

I do have a question for you. Does the 3 focal point limit apply to all reef tanks of all sizes, or is there some variable for adding additional focal points (i.e. on a peninsula tank, there are 3 viewing sides, so would that be potential for 3 focal points per side depending on the viewing angle of the tank and whether the focal point on one side is viewable from the other?)?

Great question, didn't think about that! I think that for peninsula tanks it really depends on the aquascape. If you had say a tall rock structure that almost separates the tank so it looks like two completely different views on each side of the tank, then having its own set of focal points makes sense. However, that's usually not the case. If the scape is made in a way that when viewing the tank from each side you just see a different perspective of the scape, I would say to still apply the same rule :slightly-smiling-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back