Deciding where to look: Do you have a focal point in your reef tank?

Do you have a focal point in your reef tank?

• Yes, I have a single focal point in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Yes, I have multiple focal points in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • No, I have so many things to look at but no specific focal point.

Votes: 44 49.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Deciding where to look: Do you have a focal point in your reef tank?

When setting up an aquascape, we are sometimes given various rules to follow such as how much rockwork, how high the rock should or shouldn’t be, the importance of white space, ideas about “islands”, and so much more. Sometimes these recommendations include how to have a centerpiece item in the tank (or maybe a few). However sometimes there are tanks with so many eye-catching pieces that there is no single focal point. Do you have a focal point in your reef tank?

IntrinsicReef_ROTM.jpeg

@IntrinsicReef

The above image is of the R2R Reef of the Month for October 2023, and it is absolutely stunning with so many amazing corals. More details about this 650-gallon mature reef can be found in the following thread: Victory Reef – 650 gallons of thriving marine splendor.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, but not by design. My center rock structure has 2 large colonies (JF TNT and an unnamed green acro). The red and green side by side draws your eyes directly to that spot. This is an older pic in blue light but you get the idea lol.

center point.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'd like to say i do. originally, it used to be my CSB that was in a magnetic anemone cup on the back glass until it kept leaving it so i gave up placing it back. now, i don't really identify as having one, but many. it all depends on whos asking/looking.

IMG_0034.jpeg IMG_0039.jpeg IMG_0040.jpeg

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most of the people that look at my tank in person say that the Neon Green Toadstool or the Seasons Greetings Montipora are the focal points. I can't decide for myself.
20230909_165642.jpg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the people that look at my tank in person say that the Neon Green Toadstool or the Seasons Greetings Montipora are the focal points. I can't decide for myself.
20230909_165642.jpg
It is a very impressive toadstool!

I think "most people" would say the focal point is the GSP. SMH

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha Ha, when I set up my tank with aquascaping, I definitely had dominant focal points in mind, especially since I am an artist. However as I kept adding coral and macroalgea and as they grew and propagated (and having a mind of their own), the tank kind of developed a free for all appearance. I have lost control of guiding the eye of the beholder, but the naturalness of the display more than compensates!
IMG_20231024_113822538.jpg

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know how to vote because I like to think I have many focal points but, everyone always asks about this guy. So I guess I have one focal point. It's the size of a dinner plate.... After I frag it. LOL

20220815_201748.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back