Creature in Sump - Isopod (description but no photo)

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump has a heap of rock rubble in it (pod farm).

Last night I saw a little critter (1/2” to 3/4”) that looked kinda like a water louse with long antennas scurrying about them promptly hide.

This is probably an isopod, right?

Tank was mostly set up with dry rock, with a few recent adds of cultured live rock the LFS from a giant fishless tank they keep rock in, which is the only place I can imagine it came from.

Reading up on isopods… seems some are predatory pests and some are clean up crew/fish food. It is a reasonable (but not guaranteed) assumption that as this critter came from a long term fishless system that it’s unlikely to grow into something that’s gonna try eat fish?

I don’t think there’s any realistic way it’d get to the tank itself, but if there’s more than one and they reproduce I can see the offspring being able to survive a ride in the return pump.

Planned path: Observe

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it too fast to get a picture of or why no photo? I have what you’re describing but don’t know what it is. Will be following.
Not particularly fast, just didn’t have a camera handy and it was already in a difficult to view place with the rocks and by the time I pulled my phone out it had scuttled ~1” into an impossible to view nook in the rocks and from there presumably to the depths of the sump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back