Creeping Salinity Q

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank has an issue with creeping salinity,,,,over time it raises from 1.025 to 1.028 at which time I draw water out and let my ato add RO to bring it down.....everything else is stable
175 gal system ,calcium reactor,auto water change ( salinity 1.024 in my storage container ),running kalk in a reactor to supplement the ph,,,ideas?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My tank has an issue with creeping salinity,,,,over time it raises from 1.025 to 1.028 at which time I draw water out and let my ato add RO to bring it down.....everything else is stable
175 gal system ,calcium reactor,auto water change ( salinity 1.024 in my storage container ),running kalk in a reactor to supplement the ph,,,ideas?
May be happening from evaporation, but calibrate your salinity tester and see if that makes a difference

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your auto water change recently? If you are using a dual headed pump, sometimes gunk can build up in the waste line, altering the ratio. I had that happen a couple of times in the past and the result was salinity creeping higher. If you are using a dual headed pump, I would suggest measuring the input to the output and seeing if they are still matching.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx I do use a dual headed pump and haven’t checked that in years

In my system, I used to adjust the pump heads independently when I wanted to adjust salinity, but I know that may be hard with a dual head peristaltic pump.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an ato, if so is there rodi and not saltwater in it? I know that too most of us this sounds like the most basic thing, but after running a LFS for years I can attest to the number of times people have been typing off their saltwater tank with saltwater.

I can see OP thinking that his 1.024 water change water is going to keep everything on point without needing to run an auto to off. The issue with this is that the amount of evaporation will change throughout the year and is not a reliable way of keeping a tank stable.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back