Crescent Tidepool Tank

sageblade24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start:

For a while now I have been living with a dream that has really become an obsession.
My current tank was not feeding my reefing appetite so I broke it down into a 29 biocube which is slowly growing what I hope to be my first inhabitants.
I have the tank built and am currently waiting to move before setting this up.

Concept:

Shallow, look-down, crescent, tidepool, rimless glass cube tank.

Explanation:

Basically this will feed many things I love about the current trends with my own personal twists. First of all, the tank will be a shallow tank because I love the look it gives off of a shallow area you could literally reach into on the shore. Growing up in California around the tidepools was awesome and I really want to recreate the look. Lots of empty space to appreciate the non-empty space. Look-down because the best part about going to a nice LFS is looking down into the frag tanks and reef systems and seeing from a god's eye view. I feel you see the coral's true colors from the top.

The tank will stand just high enough to see over without struggling as well sit down at the dinner table to look into. Rimless because plastic rims drive me insane and really ruin the whole exposure to having the ocean in your house. I picked a crescent rockwork mainly because I have never really seen another tank that pulled it off. Considering it doesn't really work unless your seeing it from the top I thought it was perfect for this tank. I am also thinking about a method to pump water into the center of the crescent and letting the water flow out and around the rockwork which is kind of like a tidepool. The overflow is island style with no box so that I can place the plumbing within the rockwork.
Not really cube but square length and width to fit the specific rockwork design. I picked 18" tall because the water level will be around 14"-16" and I want to be able to put a top on it for jumpers when im not around to enjoy it. I also want to leave some rock exposed to air for the possibility of acquiring hawaiian fiddlers. Glass because I honestly just do not like acrylic. I also want to do a display sump with 50% macro refuge and the back half not exposed to viewers with equipment, return pump and so on.

Objective:

I want this tank to be creative, attractive, fun, and clean. Basically anything you would want for a tank.

Equipment:

HeaterFLUVAL 300 WATT E-SERIES ELECTRONIC AQUARIUM HEATER
Auto Top OffReef Breeders Exo-ATO
Protein SkimmerAQUAMAXX CONES CO-1 IN-SUMP PROTEIN SKIMMER
Main PumpReef Breeders Coral Box DCA9,000 (2,500gph)
WavemakerICECAP GYRE 2K PUMP W/ DUAL WIFI CONTROLLER
SumpFiji Cube Fiji-30 Advanced Reef Sump 2nd Gen
AquariumReef Savvy 36"x36"x18" Rimless Glass Aquarium
Stand40"x40"x30" Custom Built Stand
Lightsx2 Reef Breeders Photon 32-V2+
RO / DIAquaFX Barracuda RO/DI Aquarium Filter, 100 GPD
Water ReservoirINNOVATIVE MARINE AQUA GADGET HYDROFILL TI AUTO TOP OFF ATO RESERVOIR - 15 GALLON

Livestock:

Fish: Red Sea Tang, Pair of Designer Clowns (Prefer Black Ice), Dragonet Pair, and More...
Inverts: The usual, Clams, Blue and Orange Knuckle Hermits, large anenome (possibly rose tip), hawaiian fiddlers, and More...
Coral: Mainly Z&P's and softies, secondly LPS, and a few SPS
Macro: Dragon's Breath, ochtodes, and others...

Last Thoughts:

Please provide feedback what you think of my concept and stick around for the ride as well.
I am about to put a deposit down on the tank and within the next few weeks get the stand built.
I will try to keep this updated as much as possible and I hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sageblade24

sageblade24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current 29 BioCube for coral growing to initially fill my custom tank.

20140830_185927-jpg.174751

20140830_185927.jpg

Last edited:

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your concept. I know a guy who has a 100 gallon shallow look down tank and it is absolutely amazing to look at. I can't wait to see how your build progresses.

OP
OP
sageblade24

sageblade24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been waiting forever to get this tank started but something always seems to get in the way...

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love your concept and reasoning behind it! your current tank looks great with great stuff to stock to the new one! Looking forward to your progress!

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I think thats an awesome size tank footprint wise, my initial thought is how the tang you listed would fair in a somewhat shallow tank. The Desjardini which is what I think you mean with red sea tangs are fairly big heigh wise right? Just a thought to take into consideration, I think maybe a smaller zebrasoma like a purple or an Acanthurus such as a powder blue or gold rim would fair better in 18" depth plus whatever sand you put in to shorten the depth.

Just giving you a thought beforehand, I know Desjardini are listed to get to a over a foot in length but I am not sure if they actually do.

OP
OP
sageblade24

sageblade24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I think thats an awesome size tank footprint wise, my initial thought is how the tang you listed would fair in a somewhat shallow tank. The Desjardini which is what I think you mean with red sea tangs are fairly big heigh wise right? Just a thought to take into consideration, I think maybe a smaller zebrasoma like a purple or an Acanthurus such as a powder blue or gold rim would fair better in 18" depth plus whatever sand you put in to shorten the depth.

Just giving you a thought beforehand, I know Desjardini are listed to get to a over a foot in length but I am not sure if they actually do.

You are probably right about them getting too tall for this tank. I would rather get a purple tang or a clown tang instead.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very similar to my tank (30X30X16) looking forward to this build!

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 305

SAWDUSTINTANK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following along on this one! I noticed you want a 26" high stand for the purpose of looking down into the tank which I can appreciate as a owner of a shallow rimless tank. I am not sure if you have plans on using a skimmer down the line in you build at anytime, but consider the clearance needed for certain equipment such as a protein skimmer. I just purchased an octopus nwb-150 and it's ~22" tall. Depending on how you construct your stand, a skimmer that size may not fit, IMHO.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following along on this one! I noticed you want a 26" high stand for the purpose of looking down into the tank which I can appreciate as a owner of a shallow rimless tank. I am not sure if you have plans on using a skimmer down the line in you build at anytime, but consider the clearance needed for certain equipment such as a protein skimmer. I just purchased an octopus nwb-150 and it's ~22" tall. Depending on how you construct your stand, a skimmer that size may not fit, IMHO.

Good suggestions, also made me think. As cool as the look down effect may be for a while I can imagine after some time you would like some better side viewing. Maybe try a good medium in height that allows you to still look down but not have to completely bend over to view it from the side.

Kills me sometimes that my frag tank that is only 12" high is only 30" off the ground.

SAWDUSTINTANK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the look down effect can be challenging at times. I added an additional power head to get to some dead spots recently. The added flow created more surface agitation than expected which will not allow me to look down into the tank as clear as I would like without turning off the flow. Also, if you can do a mock up with the tank at different heights to find your happy medium that would be great IMHO.

OP
OP
sageblade24

sageblade24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice size you got there. I think the hardest part was picking a size I could live with.

OP
OP
sageblade24

sageblade24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestions, also made me think. As cool as the look down effect may be for a while I can imagine after some time you would like some better side viewing. Maybe try a good medium in height that allows you to still look down but not have to completely bend over to view it from the side.

Kills me sometimes that my frag tank that is only 12" high is only 30" off the ground.

I completely understand which is why I had measured my sitting and standing height to ensure both would be ideal for the front view and standing view.

OP
OP
sageblade24

sageblade24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't believe the time I have been waiting to set this tank up.

After moving twice and ending with buying a house.
After two children with the youngest now 7 months old.

I am finally ready to set this tank up.

P.S. I am aware the tank is off center from the art.

MVIMG_20200523_094004.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back