Crinoid & Basket Starfish Owners

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jesus you’ve experienced nearly everything, how about new growth that means it’s getting enough nutrition right?

I spent a lot of time observing and learning about these things during the time I kept them. New growth does and doesn’t mean they are eating. I had some that never ate but had some growth of the tips of the arms. I can’t say for sure, but after talking with some other aquarists who were successful with these animals, we think they may be able to use energy reserves to do some growth even if they aren’t currently feeding. It’s a good sign, just not a for sure sign.

Kind of like how the human body can go for a period of time without eating but still be able to perform normal functions. With crinoids, it just takes a long time for them to starve (apparently).

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a lot of time observing and learning about these things during the time I kept them. New growth does and doesn’t mean they are eating. I had some that never ate but had some growth of the tips of the arms. I can’t say for sure, but after talking with some other aquarists who were successful with these animals, we think they may be able to use energy reserves to do some growth even if they aren’t currently feeding. It’s a good sign, just not a for sure sign.

Kind of like how the human body can go for a period of time without eating but still be able to perform normal functions. With crinoids, it just takes a long time for them to starve (apparently).

my smaller crinoid was very small when i got him 2 months ago and he’s about the size of the larger one now, since he’s the crinoid that doesn’t drop arms and seems healthy i will try and move him gently to get a before and after picture, the sturggle to keep these things is intense and i honestly could’ve gotten TONS of new equipment if i didn’t spend all my money and time on them

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my smaller crinoid was very small when i got him 2 months ago and he’s about the size of the larger one now, since he’s the crinoid that doesn’t drop arms and seems healthy i will try and move him gently to get a before and after picture, the sturggle to keep these things is intense and i honestly could’ve gotten TONS of new equipment if i didn’t spend all my money and time on them

That’s awesome and hopefully that growth energy is coming from the food being offered.

And ok? That’s what happens with demanding animals. Maybe do more research on potential purchases before buying next time? Not really sure what you want to hear.

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome and hopefully that growth energy is coming from the food being offered.

And ok? That’s what happens with demanding animals. Maybe do more research on potential purchases before buying next time? Not really sure what you want to hear.
i knew about the care, i just didn't know what food type to buy. anyway now that i'm home , time for that before and after picture

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

afee77efe2d3fbdef7dbc6c4e4590eef.png
df15e90a94046e1752b3c2f5eef6fe2d.jpg

i couldn’t remove him as he was secured very well to the rock, the first photo he was 2 inches spread out second he’s about 4 spread out

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I witnessed the crinoid transferring food to the center mouth.

the small "feeler" arms near the "mouth" picked out larger food particles that the crinoid wasn't interested in, once the particles the crinoid wasn't interested in were removed the crinoid would move those "feelers" out of the way and display the mouth like this:
crinoid mouth.jpg

the Nutramar Ova would then slowly enter the mouth area and a little "stomach" like substance would come and surround the food for about 5 minutes. It would then retract and the "mouth" area of the crinoid would enlarge and after the crinoid closed up for 2 hours.

this is what i learned by watching my tank while feeding, hopefully this discovery can help other crinoid keepers

edit: photo from wikipedia

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I witnessed the crinoid transferring food to the center mouth.

the small "feeler" arms near the "mouth" picked out larger food particles that the crinoid wasn't interested in, once the particles the crinoid wasn't interested in were removed the crinoid would move those "feelers" out of the way and display the mouth like this:
crinoid mouth.jpg

the Nutramar Ova would then slowly enter the mouth area and a little "stomach" like substance would come and surround the food for about 5 minutes. It would then retract and the "mouth" area of the crinoid would enlarge and after the crinoid closed up for 2 hours.

this is what i learned by watching my tank while feeding, hopefully this discovery can help other crinoid keepers

edit: photo from wikipedia

Nice. Time will tell now if it's getting the proper nutrition and thriving.

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was a great day for me! I went to the Beach, found a cool gorgonian and a Burrowing Brittle Stafish, anyway I was watching the Crinoid for about 2 hours straight i'd say (I wanted to see it take a ****) and 5 minutes ago I finally saw it! from what i saw crinoid poop is whatever it was currently eating, I saw alot of Nutramar Ova shells with some worms in the poop. I have NO idea if those worms are parasitic or if they were eaten.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ughhhh I wish I lived where I could walk out and just find these things, the best I've got around here are freshwater clams (If I had a puffer or octopus I could feed live every day ha ha ha).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back