Crinoid & Basket Starfish Owners

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is t

tested 0, i'll get a picture is there another way to lower my nitrates? like adding ALOT of macro in the display or something like that?

Adding macroalgae is not a viable way to reduce nitrates. Especially in the long run, it’s important to look at why they are there in the first place and try to fix the problem at the source. The best way to reduce them at this point is multiple, regular, large water changes.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bongo Shrimp The purpose of this video was to show that the cold phytoplankton added to the tank didn't result in the animals losing appendages and fleeing from the food. That's all. I understand all the rest.

Chad

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding macroalgae is not a viable way to reduce nitrates. Especially in the long run, it’s important to look at why they are there in the first place and try to fix the problem at the source. The best way to reduce them at this point is multiple, regular, large water changes.
I wish i could do that i just can't afford to do 2 large water changes a week

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does this species swim ( if it wants to ) most of the ones that swim eat smaller particles

All species of crinoids are capable of swimming and there is really no way to know exactly what they eat without seeing them funnel the food to their gut and ultimately dissecting them to see if it’s actually being consumed.

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All species of crinoids are capable of swimming and there is really no way to know exactly what they eat without seeing them funnel the food to their gut and ultimately dissecting them to see if it’s actually being consumed.

I've read from many different articles, and scientist that only the Comaster gracilis and Heterometra sp. species of crinoid can swim, species like mine Himerometra sp. have stiffer legs that don't "flow" like the other species do

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On a side note - donuou keep them ? If so , what do you feed , temperature of the tank and how many times do you feed ?

Regards,
Abhishek

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i get very dark liquid out of it
Ok here we go. I have one sea apple, 4 "dusters", 2 scallops, tunicates and a gorgonian so my food demand is a little higher than yours, but not by much since you have two cucumbers AND a crinoid, so here is my daily maintenance to give you an idea of their needs on strain

Morning:
Remove and clean filter socks.

Clean "skim mate," I don't have a skimmer but my sump acts like on. It's on my Christmas wish tho

feed tank

Nightly routine:
Do small water change
Replace filter socks

Since you have a skimmer, you can also look into "vodka dosing"

On a side note: a strong skimmer and filter socks are the work horse of filter feeder tanks. Here is a glimpse of my nightly pull
F2BFA21F-22E3-41EE-8288-57FFA52550C9.jpeg

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here we go. I have one sea apple, 4 "dusters", 2 scallops, tunicates and a gorgonian so my food demand is a little higher than yours, but not by much since you have two cucumbers AND a crinoid, so here is my daily maintenance to give you an idea of their needs on strain

Morning:

Clean "skim mate," I don't have a skimmer but my sump acts like on. It's on my Christmas wish tho

feed tank

Nightly routine:
Do small water change
Replace filter socks

alright, i'll try that. what are your nitrates at currently?

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read from many different articles, and scientist that only the Comaster gracilis and Heterometra sp. species of crinoid can swim, species like mine Himerometra sp. have stiffer legs that don't "flow" like the other species do

I’d like to see those articles.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Morning:

feed tank

Nightly routine:
Do small water change
Replace filter socks

On a side note: a strong skimmer and filter socks are the work horse of filter feeder tanks. Here is a glimpse of my nightly pull
F2BFA21F-22E3-41EE-8288-57FFA52550C9.jpeg

Frequency and food that you feed will be helpful .

Regards,
Abhishek

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note - donuou keep them ? If so , what do you feed , temperature of the tank and how many times do you feed ?

Regards,
Abhishek

I don’t have any now, but years ago I kept several for 4.5 years. I was only successful with a certain species of which I had 4 individuals. I used to feed them mainly frozen cyclop-eeze and ova. I kept them at about 78F and fed 8 times a day with an automatic feeder. It’s important to note that the regimen I used to keep mine alive, likely doesn’t apply to another species per se.

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to see those articles.
i will look for them but the reason i believe this is because if you look at the Red Crinoid (Heterometra sp.) the legs move when they are picked up and aren't as stiff
red crinoid video

(Himerometra sp.) doesn't seem to have that much arm movement like shown in this video of it moving against high flow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly4wLT2850A I think if this was a Heterometra sp. crinoid it'd be floating away un able to compete with the flow but then again it's just a theory, now to look for those articles again

edit : sorry i messed up the link :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back