Crinoid & Basket Starfish Owners

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smells like seafood to me, then again i have a bad nose i'll ask someone else. :)

If you don't detect the smell of rotten eggs, then the product is likely fine. Especially since you said it expires in February next year. We make multiple bottles per batch and haven't heard a peep about the product. I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

Chad

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone in my family says it smells like seafood, I don't know what happened to be honest all my levels are fine, Calcium, Alk, Magnesium, Salinity,, Nitrite, Ammonia, Phosphate... Nitrate is the only thing i need to bring down.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't know 5 nitrates would hurt them... now i feel like a complete idiot. the temperature of the food 37 degrees f thanks for telling me about the nitrates, i'll do a 50% water change and see what happens

Ok. The temp of the food is probably what caused the irritation. I imagine other echinoderms would have reacted similarly if you have any. That’s too cold for them to feed on. Get the nitrates down (to zero) and always make sure you get that food warmed up before feeding it. These are incredibly sensitive animals that require very specialized environments and care to keep alive the long term.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The temp of the food is probably what caused the irritation. I imagine other echinoderms would have reacted similarly if you have any. That’s too cold for them to feed on. Get the nitrates down (to zero) and always make sure you get that food warmed up before feeding it. These are incredibly sensitive animals that require very specialized environments and care to keep alive the long term.
+1

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thanks for the help, is there anyway to produce algae in my tank with nitrates at 0, I don't want my Urchin to starve.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went and bought some Caulerpa and planted it so that should keep nitrates at 0.

This alone will not get your nitrates down to zero. You’ll have to monitor the level very closely and do enough water changes to compensate. Do not assume that the level is ok without testing.

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This alone will not get your nitrates down to zero. You’ll have to monitor the level very closely and do enough water changes to compensate. Do not assume that the level is ok without testing.

i dose bacteria food and a bacteria to keep my nitrates low and this is the lowest i can get them, I don't want to do too much water changes as i don't have have much salt left. I just completed my 2nd water change of 10 gallons, I am now waiting 30 minutes to see if nitrates have decreased or increased.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dose bacteria food and a bacteria to keep my nitrates low and this is the lowest i can get them, I don't want to do too much water changes as i don't have have much salt left. I just completed my 2nd water change of 10 gallons, I am now waiting 30 minutes to see if nitrates have decreased or increased.

What kind of bacteria and bacteria food are you feeding? This is probably the source of the nitrates and you likely don’t need to dose and feed bacteria as long as the tank is already established. If you don’t get those nitrates down, the crinoids will die sooner than if they just starved to death.

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bacteria and bacteria food are you feeding? This is probably the source of the nitrates and you likely don’t need to dose and feed bacteria as long as the tank is already established. If you don’t get those nitrates down, the crinoids will die sooner than if they just starved to death.
i use aquaforest Pro Bio F it says dose daily. i tested with the red sea test and my nitrates are higher which doesn't make any sense to me...

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use aquaforest Pro Bio F it says dose daily. i tested with the red sea test and my nitrates are higher which doesn't make any sense to me...

Test your new sw and see if there are nitrates in it. Otherwise the test kit may be incorrect.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Aquaforest is good for normal sps tank may be . I would try and use nopox and get lots of 25 mm siporax seeded for a couple of months to handle high nitrates.

Regards,
Abhishek

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thanks for the help, is there anyway to produce algae in my tank with nitrates at 0, I don't want my Urchin to starve.
You can feed them caulerpa, or you can get nori from a grocery store. I use both

This, plus in my tank I pull out particles every night to keep them from decaying.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "bacteria food" a shot of ammonia to start the cycle of new tanks? If i'm right, your working against your tank by doing this, because you're feeding it pollutants

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my RODI unit water test at 0 for everything, i don't understand this hobby sometimes guess i'll order a new test kit.

Test your new saltwater, not just the RO. The nitrates are coming from somewhere, they don’t just spontaneously generate.

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed them caulerpa, or you can get nori from a grocery store. I use both

This, plus in my tank I pull out particles every night to keep them from decaying.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "bacteria food" a shot of ammonia to start the cycle of new tanks? If i'm right, your working against your tank by doing this, because you're feeding it pollutants

already tried nori he doesn't like it, hopefully when the caulerpa grows he'll eat it, i will try to pull particles out my tank, i don't think its ammonia but i'll ask aquaforest

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW everyone. Here is a video of one of our customers feeding our cold phytoplankton (Phyto-Feast) to his crinoids. He feeds them routinely this way.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back