Critique? PVC eel tunnels

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been tweaking an arrangement of 4" PVC fittings into a structure for eels that I can cover so the plastic isn't visible. There are 4 separate sections. I added pictures showing how they stack so you can see each one.

What do you think? Will it be comfortable for them? Would you make any changes to the eel housing? It is kind of hard to show what I am going for with the end result, but I think I will be able to cover it with rock and allow for placement of the other things I want to accomplish in the tank.

The bottom two sections:
pipe (1).jpg

The next piece wraps over the bottom sections:
pipe (2).jpg

Then the third piece sits on the top:
pipe (3).jpg

View from the left:

pipe (5).jpg

View from the right:

pipe (6).jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There needs to be a length that will allow the eel to completely get inside. So a 2' eel will need at least a length just over 2', that's about the shortest. I've seen snowflakes at around 30". Their demands really are not demanding, just an area to completely cover their bodies and 2 to 3 openings. I rarely see elaborate pvc designs get used by the eels. I'm using it in my tessa tank more for support, tessa's are known to collapse rock work, otherwise I am not a big pvc fan.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There needs to be a length that will allow the eel to completely get inside. So a 2' eel will need at least a length just over 2', that's about the shortest. I've seen snowflakes at around 30". Their demands really are not demanding, just an area to completely cover their bodies and 2 to 3 openings. I rarely see elaborate pvc designs get used by the eels. I'm using it in my tessa tank more for support, tessa's are known to collapse rock work, otherwise I am not a big pvc fan.

The short section on the top is 30" inside with a tape measure.

I am hoping for a dragon eel and banana eel in this tank - didn't have much locally for supply though. I had thought I wanted more than two, but after looking at the available space I am not sure about more.

Would you tweak for longer lengths?

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There needs to be a length that will allow the eel to completely get inside.

I went ahead and added an extra elbow so the shortest one should be closer to 36"

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short section on the top is 30" inside with a tape measure.

I am hoping for a dragon eel and banana eel in this tank - didn't have much locally for supply though. I had thought I wanted more than two, but after looking at the available space I am not sure about more.

Would you tweak for longer lengths?

I would, dragon's get to about 3'.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king the other one I keep catching myself looking at is a blue ribbon eel. It would be easy to sneak some smaller diameter PVC in now but not later. Are the odds of a ribbon eel doing well with the other two types any good?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king the other one I keep catching myself looking at is a blue ribbon eel. It would be easy to sneak some smaller diameter PVC in now but not later. Are the odds of a ribbon eel doing well with the other two types any good?

1st thought they would be fine together, but the ribbon eel is more fragile and would not take a beating from one of the other two. When dealing with the fang tooth eels there's always a risk of some aggression, those other 2 would likely pound on each other and neither would do severe damage. Worst case if one were to rough up the ribbon, the ribbon would be toast.

The ribbon eel also doesn't do well long term without the inclusion of live food, mollies would be the food of choice. They are delicate when it comes to feeding as well, not as aggressive as the other 2, and even after time can still be temperamental when it comes to feeding.

While not out of the question, it would be a challenge and a risk.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not out of the question, it would be a challenge and a risk.

I think I will add the PVC and decide later to use it or not. What diameter and length would you suggest for the ribbon eel?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will add the PVC and decide later to use it or not. What diameter and length would you suggest for the ribbon eel?
'
For a single ribbon I think I used an inch and a total length of about 4', they grow to about 3.5. It was a 3/4" for about 2 years before he moved to the lion tank, you always have to consider what they will grow into. I'm giving you my 2 cents but please don't take me as the authority on using pvc.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put two options together using 1.5" pvc I had.

Going to make a cave with overhang with this one:
0.jpg

And this one will be some flatter:

1.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tessa went into the 210g today, here's the tank. I usually don't use pvc, I only used it for the tessa, because they can sometimes collapse rockwork, so I only used it for support. The rockwork is open with many pathways and cubbies. The pvc runs along the bottom in pretty much a straight line with 30 degree angles at each end, and an up pipe, so 3 openings While it's likely he won;t use the up pipe, I have occasionally seen an eel peaking from the top. They won't use the pvc and rockwork as a race way, they will only use as a den, so it doesn't need to be fancy, only long enough to conceal their entire body with 3 openings. Multiple eels will need more choices, den areas separate from each other and more openings. While some eels may co-habitat, others will need their own territory. The last pic is an older eel tank with a jeweled, rock work only.

20221218_123913.jpg
20221218_123935.jpg
20221218_124002.jpg

1671397968972.png

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back