Critter ID

cdstanley0123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2025
Messages
47
Reaction score
19
Location
united kingdom
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone would be able to ID these for me? They’ve just appeared in my 8 week old tank.

Sorry for the bad picture, I can’t seem to get one clearer than this.

I have a few LPS, some Zoas, a mushroom and some GPS in the tank along with 2 clowns

Many thanks

20251228_132827_2D09A93D-4B5F-4A7E-93E0-4D2695BA645D.png
 
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone would be able to ID these for me? They’ve just appeared in my 8 week old tank.

Sorry for the bad picture, I can’t seem to get one clearer than this.

I have a few LPS, some Zoas, a mushroom and some GPS in the tank along with 2 clowns

Many thanks

20251228_132827_2D09A93D-4B5F-4A7E-93E0-4D2695BA645D.png

Those are hydroids, i think the medusa variant. They usually come on new tanks and you will likely get a ton of them and then they will all mostly disappear. Just a common pest. They do eat copepods so wait to dose those until they are mostly gone. For me they took a couple of weeks to go away and they absolutely filled my tank lol, now none are left

1766928994574.png


Here you can see from my tank how many there were, that was from a month ago now there are near 0

1766929106910.png


https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydroids-on-glass.146140/
 
looks like small anemone. Please provide a closeup with white light
 
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone would be able to ID these for me? They’ve just appeared in my 8 week old tank.

Sorry for the bad picture, I can’t seem to get one clearer than this.

I have a few LPS, some Zoas, a mushroom and some GPS in the tank along with 2 clowns

Many thanks

One other thing, people say they appear due to high nutrients, especially in freshly cycled tanks. As such make sure to test the phosphates & nitrates to make sure they do not get out of hand. Just something to be aware of!
 
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone would be able to ID these for me? They’ve just appeared in my 8 week old tank.

Sorry for the bad picture, I can’t seem to get one clearer than this.

I have a few LPS, some Zoas, a mushroom and some GPS in the tank along with 2 clowns

Many thanks

20251228_132827_2D09A93D-4B5F-4A7E-93E0-4D2695BA645D.png

Those are hydroids, i think the medusa variant. They usually come on new tanks and you will likely get a ton of them and then they will all mostly disappear. Just a common pest. They do eat copepods so wait to dose those until they are mostly gone. For me they took a couple of weeks to go away and they absolutely filled my tank lol, now none are left

1766928994574.png


Here you can see from my tank how many there were, that was from a month ago now there are near 0

1766929106910.png


https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydroids-on-glass.146140/
Thank you. You’re absolutely right.. they look identical to the picture of the ones in your tank.

I dosed some copepods a week ago to help with the ugly stage, but I’ll not do it again until they are under control 🤣

Thanks for your help
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new