Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yarrr... hows it going?

Rolling along... baby girl turned 3 months this past Monday and life has still been crazy busy.

I've been meaning to make an update, but sleep is precious at the moment LOL.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few pics of progress over the last several months...

IMG_8002.JPG

IMG_8003.JPG
IMG_8812.JPG
IMG_8721.JPG
IMG_8723.JPG
IMG_8813.JPG

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had decent results with a 300w black box and T5 hybrid setup in the lowboy. Things are growing and keeping decent colors. I have plenty of seeds planted waiting for them to grow, but now I'm nearly out of room so it's time to expand.

Lowboy #2 is in place, drilled and ready to be plumbed, but that'll have to wait till we get back from visiting family for Christmas. Learned the hard way you don't do anything drastic to your setup before you leave town!!!!

Lowboy #2 will be plumbed into the same system and run a gyre 250 just like #1, but this one will be cooked with an 8 bulb ATI fixture. My biggest concern will be heat during the summer months, but I'll tackle that issue when the time comes.

IMG_8265.JPG
IMG_8272.JPG
IMG_8828.JPG
IMG_8852.JPG
IMG_8859.JPG
IMG_8868.JPG
IMG_8907.PNG

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had decent results with a 300w black box and T5 hybrid setup in the lowboy. Things are growing and keeping decent colors. I have plenty of seeds planted waiting for them to grow, but now I'm nearly out of room so it's time to expand.

Lowboy #2 is in place, drilled and ready to be plumbed, but that'll have to wait till we get back from visiting family for Christmas. Learned the hard way you don't do anything drastic to your setup before you leave town!!!!

Lowboy #2 will be plumbed into the same system and run a gyre 250 just like #1, but this one will be cooked with an 8 bulb ATI fixture. My biggest concern will be heat during the summer months, but I'll tackle that issue when the time comes.

IMG_8265.JPG
IMG_8272.JPG
IMG_8828.JPG
IMG_8852.JPG
IMG_8859.JPG
IMG_8868.JPG
IMG_8907.PNG
Sweet! So exciting!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is coming along nicely. Hope ur little ones' first Christmas is a great one.

Thanks for the update. Might have to hit ya up for some frags in the future ;)

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is coming along nicely. Hope ur little ones' first Christmas is a great one.

Thanks for the update. Might have to hit ya up for some frags in the future ;)

Things have really come along in the last 4-6 months! Excited to see what happens in the next 6 months. Hopefully I'll be able to make a few trimmings LOL.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s one of my favorites for sure. I got it at MACNA New Orleans as a 5 head frag. One died but managed to make it happy. I tried to count it once and stopped after I got to 50. It’s a little bit bigger than my fist nowadays.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s one of my favorites for sure. I got it at MACNA New Orleans as a 5 head frag. One died but managed to make it happy. I tried to count it once and stopped after I got to 50. It’s a little bit bigger than my fist nowadays.
I think a head or two of it would fit right into my Acan Alley ;)
20191113_205742.jpg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you ever sell any frags of it. I want in.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the holidays have passed and life is slowly returning to normal (as normal as a can be in a house with a 2 year old and a not quite 4 month old) I managed to do a little work on bringing lowboy #2 online.

Please ignore the mess, this is not the best the shack has looked (but it is a shack after all)

I ripped sump out from under my 75 for a couple reasons.
1. I wanted it to be centralized under the middle tank
2. I'm going to be doing a reboot on the 75 shortly because I'm completely over run with Poci ( NEVER AGAIN)
IMG_9321.jpg

Since I didn't want the sump to sit directly on the floor I built a small platform for it to sit on that also allows air to pass under it just in case I have any spills it will better be able to dry.

IMG_9315.jpg

This is when I really started to question this decision

IMG_9324.jpg

Several hours later and we have a clean sump all plumbed back in. The 75 is running solo for the moment but hopefully that won't be for much longer than a week or so. The plan is to move the fish to lowboy #2 temporarily while the 75 gets drained cleaned and any and all poci gets eradicated!!!!

I still have to run the emergency line for lowboy #2 but that shouldn't take more than 20 minutes tops.

Wish I had a before pic, but needless to say this is way more sleek than the initial setup... actually kinda proud of how it turned out.

IMG_9339.jpg

Current state of lowboy #2 YIKES

Not to worry it won't be like this long...

IMG_9340.jpg

current FTS, so to speak

IMG_9351.PNG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back