Crushed Coral Substrate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter maxxin69
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

maxxin69

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2014
Messages
165
Reaction score
10
Location
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to use crushed coral as a substrate but recently found out of many people having nitrate problems due to trapped detritus. I was only going to use a very thin layer (just enough to cover the bottom of the tank). Would I still be having nitrate problems or would I be able to get away with it?
 
I still use xtra fine crushed coral on my tank, I don't have any nitrate issues. Its all in what size you get.
 
the problem is the trapped detritus, so its not so much a matter of how thick or what size; that type of substrate you have to use a siphon/gravel vac to remove the detritus before it becomes a problem.
 
the problem is the trapped detritus, so its not so much a matter of how thick or what size; that type of substrate you have to use a siphon/gravel vac to remove the detritus before it becomes a problem.
I agree, I was having lots of problems after a few years of crushed coral. I removed about 3/4 of it (as much as I could) and put in sand. Things are back on track now.
 
I agree, I was having lots of problems after a few years of crushed coral. I removed about 3/4 of it (as much as I could) and put in sand. Things are back on track now.
That has been the general consensus thus far. Unless I can find some other long term success stories then I'll just go sand and save the headache.
 
Either way, any substrate needs a clean up crew, like crabs, snails, sea stars, and fish like sand sifting gobies.
I like them all and enjoy watching them !

If you don't utilize any, then once a week or so take a tool like a rake, and move the substrate to get the detritus in the water column.
 
How long? I have the same grain as you if that is your tank in the picture.
How long have I had CC? WOW, ever since I've had SW tanks. I've always used this. This CC in the pics I've had for 6 years, and it came from a 125g tank that I had for an additional 6 years.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new