Crushed coral vs sand

  • Thread starter Thread starter petcellar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

petcellar

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2024
Messages
766
Reaction score
1,913
Location
Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering.... I'm setting up a new red sea 900 G2 as a reef. I've got quite a bit of crushed coral from old setups. Grain size isn't too big, but certainly more of a fine gravel than actual sand.

Not planning on a deep gravel bed but don't really want to do bare bottom either.

Cons of using crushed coral vs actual sand?
I'm worried mostly about the particle size.
 
Just wondering.... I'm setting up a new red sea 900 G2 as a reef. I've got quite a bit of crushed coral from old setups. Grain size isn't too big, but certainly more of a fine gravel than actual sand.

Not planning on a deep gravel bed but don't really want to do bare bottom either.

Cons of using crushed coral vs actual sand?
I'm worried mostly about the particle size.
If sand is very fine it will blow around the tank.
If it’s too course, may create difficulties for burrowers.

Ive always used Carbi-Sea Figi pink which is not as fine as “sand” but still allows creatures to bury themselves.

I have a ton of flow and it stays put.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new