OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought 2 20gal longs. Picking up copper now. All my water sits at the same tamp and salinity for water changes so hopefully this works. I bought to since it's so many fish.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read through the entirety of humblefish stuff i posted before it is pretty easy to follow directions on how to setup both the qt and medication usage

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just bought 2 20gal longs. Picking up copper now. All my water sits at the same tamp and salinity for water changes so hopefully this works. I bought to since it's so many fish.
get coppersafe- you'll be glad and NO API breand copper test kit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best I can do for pictures.
These spots are too large to be velvet.
Try getting a respiration count on one of the fish - count the gill beats for 15 seconds and multiply by 4. If the rate is less than 120, it is ich, not velvet.
Jay

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These spots are too large to be velvet.
Try getting a respiration count on one of the fish - count the gill beats for 15 seconds and multiply by 4. If the rate is less than 120, it is ich, not velvet.
Jay
cool trick to diagnose something

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool trick to diagnose something
It isn’t quite that cut and dry though - other issues can cause rapid breathing, and there is a zone of overlap in the rates between ich and velvet….but knowing the actual rate can help with diagnosis.
Jay

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Remember to follow these guidelines they will help you out a whole lot, good luck

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry updated copperpower by humblefish is here, he changed the recommendation from api test to hanna checker

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the only aquarium store around me only had cupramine available.
It isn’t quite that cut and dry though - other issues can cause rapid breathing, and there is a zone of overlap in the rates between ich and velvet….but knowing the actual rate can help with diagnosis.
Jay
In all honesty the are breathing so fast its kind of hard to count but in 15seconds I'd say around 40 breaths so that would be around 160.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
information for cupramine specifically from humlefish

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
according to what he said ramp it up to therapeutic dose (.5ppm) over a 48 hour period for velvet only

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very small jebao sine wave pump sdw-5 should I add that to the qt?
Adding a pump would be beneficial for gas exchange, just keep in mind that it is often advised to not reuse any equipment from a QT tank in any other tank but the QT. This even goes for nets.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry you and your fish are going through this. I just setup my first QT 20 gallon for all new arrivals and it was a lot research. I took measurements of actual water volume in my display and got 18gallons and ran prazipro for 1 week and then added coopersafe (last 4 days) at 9ML (3 doses). According to some ppl on this forum I should be just under 2PPM cooper levels. I got the copper hanna checker and will open it today and check and if needed go to 2-2.5PM levels (I believe 1.6ML coopersafe per gallon = 2PMM, well i added 1.5/1gallon) . I have alot of 10ML syringe and just used for copper and it makes measuring easy. Make sure your have alot of hiding places and flow. Good luck

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an air stone, hang on roller filter no media and heater.

I will freshwater dip for 4 mins before putting them in this tank. Does this sound right?
again just go back and forth with humblefish's guide and you will be fine, i know this is gonna be stressful but be strong
Kids Muscles GIF by Hate Thy Neighbor

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first let me say I do not have a QT. All fish were introduced together about 2 months ago. Naso, 2 Valmingi, clown tang, purple dottyback, two whiteout blizzard clowns. Yesterday I came home to find the dottyback down on the sand (wifes favorite fish in the tank) dead. There has been absolutely no aggression in the tank, I feed well. I have only add some new corals so I'm not sure if this is where it may have came from.

Pretty sure it's velvet Clown tang, Naso, and one of the Valmingis are staying in the powerheads flow pretty constantly.
I only see spots on the Naso but it was few last night to tons today, one Valmingi has clouded eyes but no spots and stays hidden, read this could be he's now light sensitive. The other one is in the flow or flashing constantly. Clown tang no visible spots but constantly in water flow. The clowns seem fine just doing their normal swimming.

I cannot tear this thing apart, I was reading about (polyp lab medic) does this work? I'll see if I can get it locally or overnight ship.
I am set up with automatic water changes with the Dos 3 gallons a day, salinity, temp, ph, all stay in the same range. Trident shows no drastic fluctuations.
I just traded for a UV from a member here hoping it gets here soon.

Picture of the Valmingi is for the cloudy eye he does not have spots of the parasites on him the marks are how he has looked everytime he goes dark since I received him.

Any promising help would be greatly appreciated.

20211229_090620.jpg 20211229_090556.jpg 20211228_175850_capture(1).jpg

Sadly by the pics it looks like it's too late for your fish. But if they are alive tomorrow - can do formalin dips and add formalin to the tank. Formalin will evaporate out daily and not linger. You can run copper in a no invert/coral tank just fine. You will just need to use a ton of Cuprisorb and Poly Filter before adding any corals or inverts.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back