Cryptic Fuge - Right track?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m still building out my tank (75 gallon, 20 gallon sump, FOWLR) and currently my sump is ultra basic - heaters and filter socks, with a few spare rocks thrown in.

My goal is to turn this into a refugium, primarily to produce pods.

One option I’ve seen mentioned is a “cryptic fuge”, which sounds attractive to me as it doesn’t involve lights and harvesting chaeto or keeping chaeto alive.

Reading up on these I wanted to check if I have the right idea. My understanding is I want a bunch of live rock rubble, with some but not a lot of flow through it (flow rates in image are range for pump), with sand and a little space for the inhabitants to exist.

Is the below layout on the right track? Are flow rates about right? It sounded like the goal is modest flow? Is it a problem water would be flowing *up* through the rubble? My impression is this would help flush pods to their eventual doom in the display tank, but worried it would have negative effects also if it stirred up detritus?

Notes: Baffles are already in place, as are pumps, heaters, filter sock. No egg crate yet, nor substantial live rock rubble. Future skimmer planned, but not in place.

2BDFE913-F4C7-42C6-8C93-0AC602D92010.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was over thinking your plan,
Live rubble is live rock rubble or live rubble rock, the pods will grow in any areas they can find that provide water, food, and a safe place without predator pressure to eat them before they breed. I find lots of micro fauna in my unlit overflow and in the Chaeto growing down in the sump. The pods will eat plankton, bacteria, and other stuff that gets around in the system. Having light and dark areas may increase diversity of life and the pods and plankton and macro algae all will grow if they have the things they need to thrive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back