Crystal clear: What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

• Acrylic tanks are my preference

Votes: 47 12.1%
  • Acrylic tanks have their place for certain applications

Votes: 117 30.1%
  • I don’t have a preference (glass or acrylic is okay)

Votes: 71 18.3%
  • Acrylic tanks would be my last option

Votes: 147 37.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will turn the acrylic slightly yellow over time.
How does that happen?

If the UV system is below the tank or in the sump area all that’s getting to the display tank is UV treated water. How does UV treated water yellow acrylic?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How does that happen?

If the UV system is below the tank or in the sump area all that’s getting to the display tank is UV treated water. How does UV treated water yellow acrylic?
The lights over your tank contain small amounts of UV that can yellow acrylic over time.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but not all UV is the same. UV from metal halides and the like (mercury based, or similar) are mostly blocked by the glass tube. This is why you don't get a sunburn under one of these in an old gymnasium, but if that glass is broken then you'll get a severe sunburn (this definitely can happen).

For a similar reason fluorescent tube don't give you sunburn. A UV tube is just a standard fluorescent lamp tube without the phosphor coating that shifts that light into the visible spectrum.

LEDs, unlike MH & Fluorescent, are not mercury-based so they don't have UV to being with. You have to make a specific LED chip for generating UV.

Sunlight of course has UV so if you let piece of acrylic is out in the sun, it will be affected. Now, regarding UV stabilized acrylic, I may also be mistaken here but it was my understanding that there was a specific type of acrylic that was UV stabilized to the point where it could be used in place of a glass window pane and not deteriorate. I do not believe this type of acrylic is not used in tank manufacturing. In fact I recall conversations about this specifically not being OK to use for making aquariums due to differences in the material and how it holds a weld/bond. Now, that's not saying that standard cell cast acrylic doesn't have some level of UV resistance, but it's not "made" for that, not that I recall.

So in essence, if you can get a sunburn from it, it will probably affect an acrylic tank.

Add to this that most tanks are inside and are not exposed to direct sunlight without a window between the tank and the sun, it's not going to "get a sunburn".

Similarly a UV sterilizer shouldn't do anything.

An LED fixture with UV in it would be similar to the type of UV you would get from a metal halide. There's only so much you can do to replace the sun without getting a sunburn, and IMO that's one of the limitations of aquarium lighting, but it's also why acrylic tanks don't break down under it.

Open to being corrected. JMO

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford to have a professional high caliber company take care of your tank acrylic is ok. If you're doing it all yourself it's absolutely insane to get acrylic. They scratch nonstop, and the claim is you can buff them out - which you can, if you're great at it. If you're not great at it (which no one is that hasn't done it many times) you are going to scratch that tank even worse and create hazing and all sorts of distortion issues. After having a large acrylic tank years ago, I will NEVER have one again. Acrylic tanks benefit manufacturers not aquarists. They are cheaper to make, easier to move around, cheaper to crate and ship etc. At the same time, all the issues with acrylic tanks trickle down to the end user. Acrylic manufacturers can undercut glass tanks on price and people are drawn to the lighter weight as it's easier to work with on the single day you have to move it. After that first day everything is objectively worse/harder. It basically becomes a slow steady decline.

I would argue everyone that's been in the hobby 10+ knows this - at least the ones not selling acrylic tanks.

All that said, acrylic tanks look great for the first week!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has been said, both glass and acrylic have suitable applications. Once you get beyond 300 gallons or so, acrylic really makes the most sense. Glass tanks that big just get too heavy to move, and often have to be built onsite.

These are two larger acrylic reef setups I have done or been a part of.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford to have a professional high caliber company take care of your tank acrylic is ok. If you're doing it all yourself it's absolutely insane to get acrylic. They scratch nonstop, and the claim is you can buff them out - which you can, if you're great at it. If you're not great at it (which no one is that hasn't done it many times) you are going to scratch that tank even worse and create hazing and all sorts of distortion issues. After having a large acrylic tank years ago, I will NEVER have one again. Acrylic tanks benefit manufacturers not aquarists. They are cheaper to make, easier to move around, cheaper to crate and ship etc. At the same time, all the issues with acrylic tanks trickle down to the end user. Acrylic manufacturers can undercut glass tanks on price and people are drawn to the lighter weight as it's easier to work with on the single day you have to move it. After that first day everything is objectively worse/harder. It basically becomes a slow steady decline.

I would argue everyone that's been in the hobby 10+ knows this - at least the ones not selling acrylic tanks.

I’ve been in the hobby since 1956, saltwater since ‘73, acrylic since ‘88…
There is nothing that you stated that I agree with, except “all the issues with acrylic tanks trickle down to the end user” !

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like you shouldn't be allow to clean acrylic.
I use steel blades on acrylic alot more than I should, and I don't scratch it. Yes, it's softer than glass, thus easier to scratch.

UV from lighting and through a window is unlikely to cause yellowing. Sure, if a tank is left empty out in direct sun for a year or so, it may get yellow.
Acrylic is a great option for many. Just like t5, halide, ozone, UV sterilizer, a/c return pumps, calcium reactors, turf scrubbers, etc. Not everything is good for everyone.
Also, I guess public aquariums hate acrylic too.
Is the crazing at seams just visual or means the seams are going bad/ soon to leak?
Well, tank makers will tell you it's just cosmetic. Lol

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, tank makers will tell you it's just cosmetic. Lol
Not all tank makers, just the ones that lie hahaha

Crazing is a sign of stress. Stress can come in many forms. One is stress induced into the material by things like flame polishing or even machine polishing (if too aggresive / allow material to heat up).

Stress can be related to the stand not being flat/level or the improper use of foam (there are proper uses and improper uses)

Then one can underbuild a tank in many ways and this will result in stress focus over time

Or one could have cleaned the tank with Windex, that would do it also.

Poor workmanship is a catch all also

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I heard acrylic tanks are more prone to scratches so I don't want to try and found out. For sure are some advantages as well, but it is not an option for me

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back