Crystal clear: What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

• Acrylic tanks are my preference

Votes: 47 12.1%
  • Acrylic tanks have their place for certain applications

Votes: 117 30.1%
  • I don’t have a preference (glass or acrylic is okay)

Votes: 71 18.3%
  • Acrylic tanks would be my last option

Votes: 147 37.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..,I keep my mag cleaner about 1” above sand bed and use a Kent scraper to get that.
Good idea, but I’d also suggest getting an acrylic magnet sleeve from Champion Lighting… it cleans the acrylic better, and basically keeps sand grains from scratching!
Been using them for probably 20 years.

As an added precaution, I remove the magnets from the tank whenever friends, especially with kids are visiting! Magnets are the first thing they want to touch!

Ucyibd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea, but I’d also suggest getting an acrylic magnet sleeve from Champion Lighting… it cleans the acrylic better, and basically keeps sand grains from scratching!
Been using them for probably 20 years.

As an added precaution, I remove the magnets from the tank whenever friends, especially with kids are visiting! Magnets are the first thing they want to touch!
Yep, magnet always comes out when done. I will definitely look into the magnet sleeve.

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crystal clear: What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

Reef tank selection includes the choice between glass and acrylic and many people have a strong opinion. Many of the new nano and pico tanks such as the Eshopps Deskmate are constructed with acrylic and have gotten strong reviews. As tanks get larger, weight becomes an issue and acrylic tanks are lighter. The last time I helped move a 500-gallon tank I was glad it was acrylic. I’m also glad there were some really strong people helping! There are other pros and cons such as acrylic tanks can scratch more easily, but scratches can usually be repaired. What is your opinion about acrylic reef tanks? Please share your comments in the comments below!

ROTM_LouPico.jpeg

December 2022 Reef-of-the-Month by Lou Schiavo using an Eshopps Deskmate Pico Tank; Photo by @WWC
How many people it take to move? I’m looking at this 8ftlong 2ft deep & 20in tall 200 gallon that says it come with lifetime warranty

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use glass. I'm a klutz and not well enough to deal with reparations. I've also had poor luck with used acrylics, and will not buy them again.
Poor luck in regards to what? Curious because I’m looking at large used acrylic

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight junk. After doing maintenance on and off for 30 years I’ve never seen a good looking one after 6-7 years in service.

If you move semi regularly it makes sense, otherwise deal w/moving it one time and be done.
Can they be emptied and buffed ?

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer acrylic for several reasons

1. They are half the weight of glass.
2. They have better warranties than glass tanks
3. The seams are held by molecular bond , so wont need to be re-sealed ever
4. Can be refinished when they scratch
5. Most are made in USA of American products
6. They are clearer than even Starfire glass
7. Insulates better than glass

Just my preference, but if I am spending thousands of dollars on a tank , thousands on livestock, I don't want to be on a time clock for a seam failure, I rather sleep at night knowing my fish are safe.
How much is a refinish? And need to drain tank for it?

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people it take to move? I’m looking at this 8ftlong 2ft deep & 20in tall 200 gallon that says it come with lifetime warranty
I’m a 70yr old 130lb weakling… my younger, much stronger brother in law and myself, set my 500g tank up on the stand by ourselves. 200g should not be a problem.
don’t listen to acrylic haters… they probably broke all their toys when they were kids !
Glass scratches are FOREVER… acrylic can be repaired with water and fish still in them!

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a 70yr old 130lb weakling… my younger, much stronger brother in law and myself, set my 500g tank up on the stand by ourselves. 200g should not be a problem.
don’t listen to acrylic haters… they probably broke all their toys when they were kids !
Glass scratches are FOREVER… acrylic can be repaired with water and fish still in them!
Thanks! Make me feel much better about switching over to acrylic since I want bigger tanks, and don’t want to pay for the hype of the Red Sea & Waterbox & others with short leak warranty’s, when you compare to these brands acrylic is same price for 2-4 extra feet! Not more expensive like people say. Thanks again

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno. Didn't see the names on the things. But one ofthem looked almost brand-new...which...was the one that broke.
Well , not all tanks are made equally so quality and knowledge matter for the tank builder. Just like glass tanks , acrylic, I look at the builders success and history

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This can be moved with two people extremely easily.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience (yes, I’ve actually owned acrylic tanks) the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. The latter really is only scratches. But, as already noted they can easily be removed. I recently got rid of a 450 acrylic and it had no observable scratches after being in service for 5 1/2 years. I was very careful and used a few tricks to minimize any ooopses.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Two people easy for moving. I used to deliver similar tanks by myself. The specks are on the thin side. I would prefer at least 3/4" thick panels.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Can they be emptied and buffed ?

Yes but is it worth the time and effort when you can just use a glass aquarium that doesn’t scratch as readily? I’ve also seen plenty of bad buff jobs and seen enough postings over the years of people quoting because the tank is so screwed up.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to say, when somebody trots out the ‘lifetime warranty’ it always makes me chuckle. Most of these aquarium companies are small outfits a few bad months away from going out of business. Then what is your lifetime warranty worth?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back