CSB won’t hold onto rock

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a CSB online. Although small. It looked healthy on arrival. I allowed it to sit in an acclimation box in the tank for a few days and then when looked like it was adjusted I put it on a rock with lots of holes and things to grab on. Of course I expected it to walk away to where it wanted to and it did on day two, I the third day of being free in the tank I found that it had let go of the rock and was just laying in the sand on it’s side. I figured it really didn’t like the space and decided to float to another spot. I picked a different location and started again, put him on a rock and turned flow off until he grabbed on. Next day he let go again. I inspected his foot and didn’t really see any damage other then where he had been fragged but it looked ok from what my untrained eye can tell.

so I put him in the box again and this time included a rock. He grabbed in for a day but I noticed it want with his whole foot. It now has been almost a couple of weeks and I attempted to put him in tank but he just lets go of the rock after some time. Most my tank is lps, so flow isn’t crazy.

he is back in th box and now won’t grab anything.

I have other bta and non acted like this more than first day while finding their space.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience this?

water parameters
Alk : 9.1
Ca: 415
Mag: 1333
Nitrates: 20
Phos: .05

Tonight’s photo:
5A59B467-6D49-4E72-A213-89DAC55B324B.jpeg

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is actually laying down on the bottom of the box. His foot is not engaged in the photo.

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so he’s not griping the side - he’s lying on his side on the bottom.
Correct. Even more odd he wakes up some and tries to look better but won’t grip anything. I have to think damaged foot.

here is a picture right now with full whites. Sorry algae is starting to grow in the box. You can see he is trying but if you look close the foot is scrunched up and he isn’t grabbing on to the rock or plastic.

CFBBE6E0-D243-4BEB-9FC6-9BEDE528A33A.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a recessed hole in a rock that you could place him where he won’t get blown out? I have a few crevices in my marco rock (more like tiny caves) that I placed two small BTAs this week. It looks like they’re out on the plateau, but their foot actually extends way back into the cave. During the day they come out and at night - back into the bat cave.

The two I placed basically took one feel with their foot, latched into the cave and refuse to move. I like where they are, so we’re both happy.

I wonder if the anemone had somewhere it could lie down and be somewhat protected it might get some R&R?

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a recessed hole in a rock that you could place him where he won’t get blown out? I have a few crevices in my marco rock (more like tiny caves) that I placed two small BTAs this week. It looks like they’re out on the plateau, but their foot actually extends way back into the cave. During the day they come out and at night - back into the bat cave.

The two I placed basically took one feel with their foot, latched into the cave and refuse to move.
I have tried it twice just like that, he still gets out. I will try again tomorrow when I can watch him.

I feel like I should just let him free in the tank and find his way but so worried about it because so expensive to lose in rocks and die. My pumps have nem guards so I am not too worried about that. Also don’t want him landing in the center of a hammer colony or something.

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it work to place him in a small transparent tube?
That is certainly an idea I hadn’t thought of. I also could let him just hang in this box but doesn’t get much flow in there. Will have to see if I have a tube. Are you thinking like 1 inch diameter or like 4?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is certainly an idea I hadn’t thought of. I also could let him just hang in this box but doesn’t get much flow in there. Will have to see if I have a tube. Are you thinking like 1 inch diameter or like 4?
I was thinking something like a 1-1/2” tube, maybe 4-6” in length. That way if you placed him in the tube you could theoretically keep an eye on him, and if he bails you know he’s more than capable of crawling around. You could place it in the bottom, somewhere in the rock, etc.

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking something like a 1-1/2” tube, maybe 4-6” in length. That way if you placed him in the tube you could theoretically keep an eye on him, and if he bails you know he’s more than capable of crawling around. You could place it in the bottom, somewhere in the rock, etc.
I will see see if I have something here to try with. Thanks for the idea, I am open to any suggestions.

AnemoneFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you have another bta? Are you mixing them in the same tank? I have a supernova and a Chicago Sunburst in two separate tanks. I did have over 60 rainbows that I sold because I didn’t want to take the chance of mixing them and killing off the high end anemone which is the outcome if you mix and have a problem, the more expensive one dies. Some don’t have a problem. I think it’s because of an oversized UV sterilizer and or they were aqua-cultured together For 20 years and are compatible From the same lineage

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you have another bta? Are you mixing them in the same tank? I have a supernova and a Chicago Sunburst in two separate tanks. I did have over 60 rainbows that I sold because I didn’t want to take the chance of mixing them and killing off the high end anemone which is the outcome if you mix and have a problem, the more expensive one dies. Some don’t have a problem. I think it’s because of an oversized UV sterilizer and or they were aqua-cultured together For 20 years and are compatible From the same lineage
Hi thanks for responding. I do have 1 other bta in the tank which has split into a total of 3. They are all at one side of my tank and I was putting the CSB on the other tank. I was assuming the 3 foot of space would prevent issues.

I did do a little research about anemones before buying so I can only tell you what I found, not having much experience of my own besides my bta. I saw that there was about 50/50 of people who thought CSB can coexist in a tank. Many said they had them mixed and didn’t have problems because they were both technically bubble tips. There were others that said will have problems. Of course it was undecided. So I went in thinking if they stay far enough away. I will accept it could be an issue, but I am wondering if this would be the case now. He seemed to be having issues right off the bat. I had also found a thread where a group of people said they would be compatible. I wish it was more clear cut but having read your comments I am worried even if he survives this he may have a hard time existing in my tank and an expensive loss. I don’t have another tank or space to put one. Just happens the rbta I have my 6!year old picked out and loves so removing him isn’t an option unfortunately.

thank you so much for commenting. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with anemones. Unfortunately it sounds like I may be out of luck even if this guy survives the initial issue.

AnemoneFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CC lineage can go together..rose bubbles will kill them off and rainbows. Black widows will do the same as well with a CSB. CC lineage have been aqua-cultured for 15-20 years in one tank and don’t have an issue for some reason. If you know someone or have a lfs with a tank at home since it’s expensive you can give it to them and it may come back and then one day you may change your mind and get ride of the rose bubble tips. If I were you I would chose the CBS over a rose any day. check out his UV mixing it all together

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CC lineage can go together..rose bubbles will kill them off and rainbows. Black widows will do the same as well with a CSB. CC lineage have been aqua-cultured for 15-20 years in one tank and don’t have an issue for some reason. If you know someone or have a lfs with a tank at home since it’s expensive you can give it to them and it may come back and then one day you may change your mind and get ride of the rose bubble tips. If I were you I would chose the CBS over a rose any day. check out his UV mixing it all together

So are you saying they will do chemical warfare across the entire tank? My tank is almost 7 feet long, so there will be problems if on either side of the tank? Or just if they are in proximity of each other?

Thanks for the video, it was interesting. I 100% would take a healthy CSB over RBTA, but I will have to do some convincing of my son before I can do that.

Thanks for your help again.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there truly is allelopathy (yes, it's a very debatable topic) we can assume that it's not due to direct contact, but the ability to "smell" (somehow detecting the chemical) the presence of another anemone and it could be safe to assume that it's not just a few inches but could fill an entire tank, even one that's 7' long.

What's that saying about sharks? Something about they can smell one drop of blood in a swimming pool of water?

Sounds like you may need to quickly convince your son that the dent in your wallet of possibly losing a CSB is a pretty big deal!

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I may be entirely wrong, I do feel like it makes more sense to be a bacterial issue than a chemical one since anemones usually deflate to purge themselves of things and usually that's a tell tale sign of potential looming issues.

That aside the photos of your csb don't look particularly healthy and if possible, the immediate treatment in a separate tank with cipro may still save it (imo odds aren't very favorable if the anemone won't attach to something though)

That aside if you do proceed to treat the csb, I would suggest you consider your next plan of action should the csb make a full recovery (it won't be quick). Keep the rbta and csb together while employing the use of uv/+oxidators and carbon for a chance of success or remove the rbta and keep only the csb/keep only the rbta and give up on the csb.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 46 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back