CTARS Lutz Tank Committee

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to Don, it looks like school is in session! Looking good, can't wait to see it!

OP
OP
Vaiodude

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Update:

Don at wet pets donated 10 astrea snails and 6 hermit crabs. Also Neil S donated some nassarius snails and a coral banded shrimp. The museum is very happy so far.

DarkTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to donate some frags. Please pm me how :) thanks

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took my turn at the lutz today. Live stock all looked happy. Kids were enjoying the new editions. I took off the skimmer cup and gave it a good cleaning. I topped off the ATO with my own RODI and replaced the water they had in those small containers with extra RODI that I brought with me. I took some of their RODI water home to check and it was around 40 TDS. I also added a Kenyan tree coral that was growing on a piece of rubble in my tank. I placed it on the bottom but if someone thinks it will look better somewhere else then go ahead and move it. I brought a couple specimen containers that I filled with tank water so that I was able to do all the testing in the back room out of the way of patrons. This worked out well.
Here are the specifics:
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427067759.926764.jpg

OP
OP
Vaiodude

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it has been a while since we posted an update on the Lutz Tank.

I am very happy to say that the Tank is doing awesome and the museum is extremely happy with it!!

All of the members have been extremely helpful donating their time, gas money, livestock, and equipment!

I big thank you to pucker (Paul S) for donating an RBTA, gorgonian, huge Duncan colony, Favia, Zoa's and much more. Geomarq (George) met Paul there last Sunday and placed all the corals placed in the tank.

Yesterday Triggreef (Dave) and I replaced all the RO filters including the RO membrane. Dave replaced the faulty ATO float valve with a new EShoppes one. Dave will also be repairing the skimmer as it has a crack in the side that is preventing it from skimming properly.

As you can see in the picture the museum had an artist come and paint the stand and canopy. I think it looks really cool and the kids love it!

More to come....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430572927.401679.jpg

AquaMama13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431277228.259090.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431277242.512276.jpg

We stopped by the Lutz today and the tank looks awesome! Thanks again to the committee for doing such an awesome job!

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped by the Lutz today to give the tank a looksie and do required maintenance.
Tank looks good over all. I changed 5 gallons of water. The water I took out looked a bit yellow in my white pale, so maybe we should throw some carbon in there.
All the rest of the numbers looked good except for the nitrates which seem to be climbing. I got about a 80 reading... pretty close to being red in the tube. Just to double check I did the test a second time and it came out the same. Not to be unexpected in a new tank, but not easy to control seeing we can't really do big water changes or dose very easily. Corals seem happy enough, but from my experience sometimes it takes a prolonged period of high nitrates to start affecting them, then all of a sudden they start going down hill.
I was going to upload some pics but my
R2R app keeps giving me an error.
Will try on my lap top later.

Mike

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping the skimmer/ato working better would help that out. Guess not. Have to figure out how to do some bigger water changes.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer foam was not making it up to the cup... pretty low in fact. I could tell by the sludge in the neck it had been making up up so I was scared to adjust it higher because I did not want it to go nuts when I left. There was only a 1/2 inch or so in the cup and it was pretty much just water. I dose vodka myself but I wonder if bio pellets would be an option.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose vinegar I never really looked into bio pellets but that sounds like it would be the cheaper more viable option

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boys tagged along and visited the museum while I did maintenance at the Lutz this past weekend. Of course they enjoyed our tank the most!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1432928236.967866.jpg

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some maintenance on the tank today. I actually got a nice pic with leds on prior to the halides coming on. I'll post that up at some point.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back