CUC Bristle Worms Question

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, ok I bought some bristle worms for my new tank. I feed a lot but I am Worried they are not going to get much food. I am running a fairly high flow tank, if I turn the pumps off yes food hits the bottom, but as soon as I turn my.pumps back on it all comes off the bottom. I was wondering how I can make sure the don't starve

1WildBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll be fine. They also eat dead things on the bottom of the tank. They’re a good cleaner from all the research i’ve been doing. I found one recently in my tank.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll pretty much self control their population depending on food availability. I wouldn’t worry to much about them

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tney will find ffod on their own. Never heard of anyone buying or even selling bristle worms. Most people want to get rid of them. I have had them in all my tanks, they will just start showing up so there is no need to add them. Some can be pretty nasty. I hate getting stung by them hurts for a few days. Larger ones can kill fish as well. I saw a pretty good sized one in my new tank a few weeks ago, I had a Talbot Damsel vanish and I suspect the worm.

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tney will find ffod on their own. Never heard of anyone buying or even selling bristle worms. Most people want to get rid of them. I have had them in all my tanks, they will just start showing up so there is no need to add them. Some can be pretty nasty. I hate getting stung by them hurts for a few days. Larger ones can kill fish as well. I saw a pretty good sized one in my new tank a few weeks ago, I had a Talbot Damsel vanish and I suspect the worm.
I use all dry rock these days. That way I know what I have in the tank. I remember 35 to 40 years ago getting rock from the south Pacific. Tank had run maybe 1.5 year had a medium size blue tang disappear then another. It was a mantis shrimp that had lived through at 10 travel and a 30 minute fresh water dip

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't starve as they are scavengers and part of the CUC so no need to worry about direct feeding.
Here's a good video that clarifies the distinction between good and bad worms...

Back