CUC for wrasse dominant reef?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO I have a RS 650P that I am finally starting to stock its going to be a wrasse heavy system I would say 80-90% wrasses.

so what are you folks going for your wrasse heavy systems for CUC?

I did order a fighting conch so far that is my only CUC. Oh and a cleaner shrimp but I dont really count that so much.

my normal go to are:
a few blue legs hermits ( depending on size of the system )
Nassarius Vibex
Dwarf Cerith
Zig Zag Periwinkles
serpent star
Marginella Snail

I worried about these guys muching on the CUC
Halichoeres:

H. melanurus “Melanurus Wrasse”

H. iridis “Radiant Wrasse”

H. chrysus “yellow wrasse”

H. claudia “Christmas Wrasse”

H. cosmetus “ adorned wrasse”

so what are you guys using for CUC with a lot of Halichoeres?

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO I have a RS 650P that I am finally starting to stock its going to be a wrasse heavy system I would say 80-90% wrasses.

so what are you folks going for your wrasse heavy systems for CUC?

I did order a fighting conch so far that is my only CUC. Oh and a cleaner shrimp but I dont really count that so much.

my normal go to are:
a few blue legs hermits ( depending on size of the system )
Nassarius Vibex
Dwarf Cerith
Zig Zag Periwinkles
serpent star
Marginella Snail

I worried about these guys muching on the CUC
Halichoeres:

H. melanurus “Melanurus Wrasse”

H. iridis “Radiant Wrasse”

H. chrysus “yellow wrasse”

H. claudia “Christmas Wrasse”

H. cosmetus “ adorned wrasse”

so what are you guys using for CUC with a lot of Halichoeres?
So far my melanarus hasn't given the hermit crabs or snails any trouble in my 75 gallon

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was most worried about the zig zag Periwinkles as there quite small. but I am ok if that is the case I am slowly stocking the tank and I would think my food would be a better tread than the snails? but I am not a fish so what do I know as tasty...lol

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was most worried about the zig zag Periwinkles as there quite small. but I am ok if that is the case I am slowly stocking the tank and I would think my food would be a better tread than the snails? but I am not a fish so what do I know as tasty...lol
I have some nasssaurius snails and Mexican turbo snails and the wrasse doesn't bother anyone. I did make sure I got bigger ones but the dude is super chill.

temple2101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Melanurus and he has devoured cerith and nassarius snails. I have also seen him go after small starfish. Haven't seen him touch hermits, astrea or trochus. He's a crazy fish but fun to watch!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the chrysus or radiants I've had touched inverts. Most biocellatus leave inverts alone too, but the one I currently have goes after brittle stars, ceriths, nerites and small blue leg hermits. My cosmetus and melanurus don't touch trochus, mexican turbos, fighting conchs, larger hermits or cleaner shrimp. I think as long as you stock larger sized inverts you should be good.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call my melanurus Jaws. For obvious reasons. He has killed many hermits, a couple snails, and one small emerald crab. Most of the hermits, crabs, and snails learn to hide during the day and come out when he sleeps. Those that don't get killed. I had a snail "forget" yesterday and come out of the sand. I pushed him back under the sand as a loving "reminder". He leaves my sand sifting star fish and the conches alone.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my humu humu triggerfish i ended up getting 3 halloween hermits. 1 blue knuckle. 1 skunk cleaner. 1 sally lightfoot. 8 cerith. 8 dwarf hermits. 100gal. I went for some bigger stuff but also wanted small critters to get in the cracks and crevices.
D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back