CUC Recommendations for aragonite?

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I’m making a deep sand bed for my 20 gallon long to hopefully achieve more natural denitrification. What sand sifters do you recommend for coarse, aragonite sand?
Not really looking for another fish, mostly wanting to stay with inverts.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I’m making a deep sand bed for my 20 gallon long to hopefully achieve more natural denitrification. What sand sifters do you recommend for coarse, aragonite sand?
Not really looking for another fish, mostly wanting to stay with inverts.
This is a hard question to answer cause it all depends on how much algae you have present, how mature your tank is, etc. I would stick to Mexican turbos and other snails in the beginning to keep the sand bed clean. Once you come to accumulate more algae and sand bed with a food source a great option would be the conch. Probably a small one would do for your size tank.

In the future once your tank has reached a certain maturity and you have stable conditions, the sand shifting star fish could would, but no experience with it, so you would have to do some research.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a hard question to answer cause it all depends on how much algae you have present, how mature your tank is, etc. I would stick to Mexican turbos and other snails in the beginning to keep the sand bed clean. Once you come to accumulate more algae and sand bed with a food source a great option would be the conch. Probably a small one would do for your size tank.

In the future once your tank has reached a certain maturity and you have stable conditions, the sand shifting star fish could would, but no experience with it, so you would have to do some research.

Personally I think a sand-sifting star would be too much for that size of tank... no matter how loaded the sand is, there just isn't enough surface area to replenish it before the star finishes a circuit of the tank. For working through the sand, I'd suggest sticking with nassarius/cerith snails (to simply disturb the sand from time to time) and a conch or two.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back