CUC Stocking

mnreefer327

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I recently bought a 25 gallon tank and I am preparing to add my Clean up crew. My first question is- when should I add my clean up crew? What should the water parameters be like? I also wanna know what y'all think of this stocking list.

3x trochus snails
5x Nassarius snails
1x conch (I think I want a tiger conch- any other species y'all recommend?)

Some people claim that you need hermits and some say you don't. What are your opinions?
Are there any shrimp or crabs that y'all would recommend?

On top of all that, I only plan on stocking the tank with 2 clownfish and a whole bunch of corals.

THANKS A TON!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I recently bought a 25 gallon tank and I am preparing to add my Clean up crew. My first question is- when should I add my clean up crew? What should the water parameters be like? I also wanna know what y'all think of this stocking list.

3x trochus snails
5x Nassarius snails
1x conch (I think I want a tiger conch- any other species y'all recommend?)

Some people claim that you need hermits and some say you don't. What are your opinions?
Are there any shrimp or crabs that y'all would recommend?

On top of all that, I only plan on stocking the tank with 2 clownfish and a whole bunch of corals.

THANKS A TON!
This is a great list!

Personally I'd only add them once you actually start seeing a little bit of algae in the tank so they don't starve. I own all of these snails and have had 2 conchs. I don't recall which species of conch stays small, but that's the one you'll want to get for a tank your size.

I personally run a crabless tank - I like my tank peaceful, so no hermits for me!

For shrimp, I personally would go with: Fire/blood shrimp as they have beautiful colouration and I find them much more well mannered than typical cleaner shrimp, who often are a bit aggressive in feeding time - stealing food from corals and such. The only thing is that they tend to hide more than cleaner shrimp.

I also recommend getting a peppermint shrimp or two to deal with Aiptasia that might come in the future - but make sure it is a TRUE peppermint and not another look alike species.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add your CUC as soon as the tank cycles, however, without fish in then you will need to feed them. Some wait for fish, some wait to see algae, some add them in right away to make sure water is good.

I think your snails look good. I would add shrimp, cleaners or peppermints.

OP
OP
M

mnreefer327

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a bit hesitant with shrimp because all of the shrimp in my 105 are Satanic little jerks when it comes time to feed my corals. I've had cleaners, peppermint, and fires, but I think the fire shrimp and peppermints may have learned their bad behavior from my cleaner shrimp. Maybe I'll try a peppermint. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good conch species in my tank?

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a bit hesitant with shrimp because all of the shrimp in my 105 are Satanic little jerks when it comes time to feed my corals. I've had cleaners, peppermint, and fires, but I think the fire shrimp and peppermints may have learned their bad behavior from my cleaner shrimp. Maybe I'll try a peppermint. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good conch species in my tank?
I'd go with your gut on the shrimp. They're not really essentially, its more for looks in my opinion.

I believe its a strawberry conch that I have and they stay small.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back