Cultivated Reef fish buying feedback

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m contemplating my first online fish purchase, and wanted to go the route of purchasing from a vendor who provides quarantined fish. I found Cultivated Reef from coral recommendations and found they have fish as well.

Their customer service department says their fish are quarantined since they are captive bred and come directly from the breeder into isolated tanks.

Anyone have negative experiences with either Cultivated Reef or this style of quarantined fish?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m contemplating my first online fish purchase, and wanted to go the route of purchasing from a vendor who provides quarantined fish. I found Cultivated Reef from coral recommendations and found they have fish as well.

Their customer service department says their fish are quarantined since they are captive bred and come directly from the breeder into isolated tanks.

Anyone have negative experiences with either Cultivated Reef or this style of quarantined fish?
'quarantine' can mean many things, and I've ordered from R2R partner TSM Aquatics because theirs includes medications (more like 'hospital' treatments). This link is very informative and could be used as reference as few others seem to go to their lengths:

OP
OP
mikemathis555

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'quarantine' can mean many things, and I've ordered from R2R partner TSM Aquatics because theirs includes medications (more like 'hospital' treatments). This link is very informative and could be used as reference as few others seem to go to their lengths:

Thank you…I’m aware that quarantine can mean a lot of things, this is why I asked Cultivated Reef about their process. I’m also aware that TSM and Dr. Reef offer these types of Hospital services. Unfortunately, I’m not willing to spend to TSMs order minimum and they don’t have the type of fish I was looking for.

I’m specifically asking about people’s experiences with Cultivated Reef fish.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you…I’m aware that quarantine can mean a lot of things, this is why I asked Cultivated Reef about their process. I’m also aware that TSM and Dr. Reef offer these types of Hospital services. Unfortunately, I’m not willing to spend to TSMs order minimum and they don’t have the type of fish I was looking for.

I’m specifically asking about people’s experiences with Cultivated Reef fish.
TSM does a lot of fish special orders and $150 adds up fast - just a couple saltwater fish. They didn't have what I wanted either, but I put request in, they found & began medicating and I'll have fish in October. Closer to delivery they'll confirm what my new fish like to eat so I have it on hand.

Sorry I have to defer to others on Cultivated Reef fish, but a quick search of this site using keywords "Cultivated Reef experience" pulls up many mentions including these selected at random (from near top of results):

OP
OP
mikemathis555

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM does a lot of fish special orders and $150 adds up fast - just a couple saltwater fish. They didn't have what I wanted either, but I put request in, they found & began medicating and I'll have fish in October. Closer to delivery they'll confirm what my new fish like to eat so I have it on hand.

Sorry I have to defer to others on Cultivated Reef fish, but a quick search of this site using keywords "Cultivated Reef experience" pulls up many mentions including these selected at random (from near top of results):
Well my Fluval 13.5G isn’t going to support multiple fish additions at the moment, so the $150 min really is a barrier.

I searched before I posted as well, and found many satisfied people with the experience, many with corals. I would really like to get some feedback from people who have fish purchased from Cultivated Reef, and how they have fared now that they’ve had them for a while.

BadSquishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man.. I misread your title… I thought you were saying they were buying people’s feedback- as in trying to pay people to leave good reviews. That’s not what you meant at all. Is it possible to change your post title?

OP
OP
mikemathis555

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns I got from them and they have been a bill of health. they just turned a year old and are doing great. They were packaged well in two separate bags when I got them.

thanks! The clowns you mention are the ones from your build thread? Were they about 1-1.25” when you got them? How big are the a year later?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cultivated Reef is local to me, and I've been there personally several times to get corals. They are great. However, they don't actually have fish there. They get them all from Sea&Reef, which is another local company here. I have never bought fish from Cultivated Reef, but I have gotten fish from Sea&Reef, and they are great fish. My pair of clowns are from them, and I've had them 2+ years now.

OP
OP
mikemathis555

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cultivated Reef is local to me, and I've been there personally several times to get corals. They are great. However, they don't actually have fish there. They get them all from Sea&Reef, which is another local company here. I have never bought fish from Cultivated Reef, but I have gotten fish from Sea&Reef, and they are great fish. My pair of clowns are from them, and I've had them 2+ years now.
Nice. I assume the clowns are the ones in some of the photos in your build thread correct?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a clownfish from them years ago and it was very healthy although mislabeled. It was labeled as a percula on the website but I received an occy :p

Sustainable Aquatics is another good place for clowns since you can buy directly from them and they also have WISIWYG clowns.

Blandon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I haven’t purchased fish from them, only coral.
Holly was extremely fair and helpful on that front.

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a great experience with @Cultivated Reef . Got these beauties from them and I couldn't be happier with them. They are gorgeous. Came nicely packed and very healthy.

Back