Culturing copepods

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Culturing pods is easy as heck. I have two outdoor pod breeding stations going strong since the beginning of summer. nothing to them after the initial setup and now I have more pods than I know what to do with. phyto is a bit harder.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Culturing pods is easy as heck. I have two outdoor pod breeding stations going strong since the beginning of summer. nothing to them after the initial setup and now I have more pods than I know what to do with. phyto is a bit harder.
Can you tell us more? I just threw some tigger pods from LFS into a big beer mug and dropped some (not live) phyto in from the reef nutrition white cap bottle. I'm going to try no light, no heater, no airstone and see what happens.

I put small amount of them in another container which I'm feeding some gunk from my filter sock, probably mostly dinos, which is what I want these pods to eat eventually hahaha. Gotta give them a taste for blood now.

So gonna try feeding dead phyto and sump gunk lol. I also used tank water which most people say not to, because some organisms might out compete them? Gonna try and see how it goes. The only things I don't want to introduce are amphipods because I have a feeling amphipods are thriving in my 300g + 60g refugium because they're eating the copepods lol.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us more? I just threw some tigger pods from LFS into a big beer mug and dropped some (not live) phyto in from the reef nutrition white cap bottle. I'm going to try no light, no heater, no airstone and see what happens.

I put small amount of them in another container which I'm feeding some gunk from my filter sock, probably mostly dinos, which is what I want these pods to eat eventually hahaha. Gotta give them a taste for blood now.

So gonna try feeding dead phyto and sump gunk lol. I also used tank water which most people say not to, because some organisms might out compete them? Gonna try and see how it goes. The only things I don't want to introduce are amphipods because I have a feeling amphipods are thriving in my 300g + 60g refugium because they're eating the copepods lol.
O have 2.5 gallons going in a 5 gallon tank. I use rigid tubing that connects to soft tubing which connects to an air pump. There's a cheap air flow adjuster in between the soft tubing so I get about 1 air bubble a second (a little faster than that) into the tank. I use fresh saltwater and feed either live phyto from my own cultures or I use phytofeast. I am harvesting 64oz of culture water right now and dump it directly into dt and replace the amount with fresh saltwater and more phyto. I've had it going for a few months and it's been really easy. Phyto has crashed on me a couple times due to not sterilizing the vessels properly. But when I harvest pods and replace the water it acts as a small water change and has kept things going just fine. My tank has a small light just because I like a good view inside but not needed. Hopefully it helps..

Attachments

• 20221205_212327.jpg
    20221205_212327.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20221205_212315.jpg
    20221205_212315.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 33

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back