Culturing live rock

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any knowledge about culturing your own live rock in Florida? I know it’s illegal to harvest natural live rock, but I thought I saw somewhere that it was legal to tag and deposit your own dry rock, let it grow and then collect as long as it’s for your own tank and you won’t be selling it.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any knowledge about culturing your own live rock in Florida? I know it’s illegal to harvest natural live rock, but I thought I saw somewhere that it was legal to tag and deposit your own dry rock, let it grow and then collect as long as it’s for your own tank and you won’t be selling it.
I'd check with the local DNR before doing anything.

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd either make the trip to KP or gulfliverock and pick up some of their 20yr old
Yeah my current tank is all dry rock. So far it’s worked well, but for my next tank (probably in 2 years) I’m contemplating doing live rock. Hopefully by that time, Tampa bay saltwater will be up and running again

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure you have to lease the plot of ocean to put the rock, that’s what KP and gulfliverock do. I’m sure you could probably just dump some in and the go get it in a couple years, but luck explaining that to fish and game should you get caught.

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure you have to lease the plot of ocean to put the rock, that’s what KP and gulfliverock do. I’m sure you could probably just dump some in and the go get it in a couple years, but luck explaining that to fish and game should you get caught.
My thought was that they have to have the lease because they’re doing it commercially. I’ll definitely make sure it’s legal before I drop any rock. I’ve been stopped by FWC many times and have never had anything illegal. I don’t intend on starting now! Lol

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah my current tank is all dry rock. So far it’s worked well, but for my next tank (probably in 2 years) I’m contemplating doing live rock. Hopefully by that time, Tampa bay saltwater will be up and running again
Happy to harvest live rock for your next tank @Drew1900. Thanks for thinking of using TBS!

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We plan to begin shipping in September...

sbreefco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, but it involves lots of permits and licenses. You would be about $20,000 and 6 months to a year into it before you even got any rock placed on the site. Then it takes years for the rock to mature.
If your in the Tampa Bay Area and have some rock you want cultured send me a message, I might be able to help you out.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i harvested encrusted oysters which i believe is legal. garf makes aquarium aquacultured liverock and substrate microfauna activator which is good. ik someone on nano-reef has a tank with florida aquaculture lr. and i have a friend who has a wild caught florida tank with florida lr

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back