OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK; I didn't realize that they'd out-compete with one another, though obviously makes sense. My culture is working wonderfully now, but I don't know what species is dominating (I used a live mix to start), and my filters are working to keep out contaminants for the time being, along with washing and swapping containers between cultures.

That's great! Typically, the Nannochloropsis will out-compete the other types.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great! Typically, the Nannochloropsis will out-compete the other types.

Thanks! I had to get a package of quart containers for fridge storage since there's so much. And good to know.

20190810_175108.jpg

All the green!

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started a pod culture myself - do you need to add anything to the buckets other than the pods and phyto? Any sort of agitation, heat, light, etc.? Happen to know/remember the sieve you'd use?

I kept my culture in part of our walkout basement near a window. I'm pretty sure that I didn't use a heater. You definitely don't want an airline or need any agitation. Keeping the water volume less than half full gives you enough surface area for sufficient gas exchange.

Sorry, but don't remember the sieve size. I did base it on the size of the fry. I'll see if I can find any of the sieves at home. They were small, square, stackable sieves that came in a set. I just did a google search for "copepod sieve" and found some that look suitable.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my culture in part of our walkout basement near a window. I'm pretty sure that I didn't use a heater. You definitely don't want an airline or need any agitation. Keeping the water volume less than half full gives you enough surface area for sufficient gas exchange.

Sorry, but don't remember the sieve size. I did base it on the size of the fry. I'll see if I can find any of the sieves at home. They were small, square, stackable sieves that came in a set. I just did a google search for "copepod sieve" and found some that look suitable.

OK awesome, thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do to adjust what I have now.

Jimmy Elder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of a way to make this automated? Have a set doser remove a set amount of water every 7 days and then replace it to keep the culture going? For example have the doser removed 40ml every 8 days to feed the tank and replace with fresh saltwater? That is my ultimate goal with this.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of a way to make this automated? Have a set doser remove a set amount of water every 7 days and then replace it to keep the culture going? For example have the doser removed 40ml every 8 days to feed the tank and replace with fresh saltwater? That is my ultimate goal with this.

@CJO will have to weigh in on this as well, but from my experience with cultures of all sorts, you can't. The main reason being the growth. Eventually you'll have so much phyto that it'll plateau and stop exponential phase growth. In addition, the risk for contamination can increase significantly if you're not regularly cleaning the culture vessels. It MIGHT work for a pod culture, since they're eating the phyto in the water, but even then you'll have the same growth issues and the pods'll eventually start dying.

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam, I am about to create my photo grow out area this weekend. That looks like a great culture.
What did you start with and are you setting the cultures on an up light platform?

Adam sahut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam, I am about to create my photo grow out area this weekend. That looks like a great culture.
What did you start with and are you setting the cultures on an up light platform?
I just started with a bottle From Mercer of Montana and their f2 fertilizer. Followed the directions and just split it yesterday. Here’s my current setup. Saved a bottle in the fridge from my harvest just for a backup.

558E4F22-1949-41FC-88F4-D9B45636CEAA.jpeg

tstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a starter kit from Mercer of Montana with a 16oz bottle of starter culture. The instructions say to do a 1/1 ratio mix with saltwater. Can I just jump up and do a two gallon grow out with a 16oz starter?

I ask because I bought a two gallon Ice Tea server with a spigot from Wal-Mart...

Tim

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a starter kit from Mercer of Montana with a 16oz bottle of starter culture. The instructions say to do a 1/1 ratio mix with saltwater. Can I just jump up and do a two gallon grow out with a 16oz starter?

I ask because I bought a two gallon Ice Tea server with a spigot from Wal-Mart...

Tim
I think you'd run the risk of it being overtaken by something else. You don't have to fill the container all of the way. Start with 16 oz starter and 16 oz saltwater. Once that is dark green, add 32 oz seawater and more fertilizer. Then 64 oz, then 128 oz, by which time you'll have a total of 256 oz (2 gallons).

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question - you all mention putting the phyto in the fridge incase of a crash . Is that to go into your tank or is that to start a new culture ?

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question - you all mention putting the phyto in the fridge incase of a crash . Is that to go into your tank or is that to start a new culture ?
When I harvest the phyto every 8 days, the phyto for dosing the tank goes in the fridge. I dose about 100ml per day of the stock from the fridge.

during the harvest, I only take about half of the phyto, so I add new saltwater to the half that remains and add a little more fertilizer and that half grows a new batch to be harvested in 8 more days

incidentally I have had a batch crash, and I was able to use the stock in The fridge to start another batch.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back